AMD FX-8350 Temperatures is a non-stock heatsink worth it for me?

Shoofuss

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
So, I've got an AMD FX-8350 on a Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard with the stock heatsink/fan.

I've been paying a little closer attention to the CPU temperatures lately since when I play a game or such, the CPU fan will generally kick into high gear.

From what Probe II tells me (and I've heard this thing is only vaguely reliable) I generally have an idle temperature of 35C (and the ambient temperature is about 23C or so).

Under a heavier load playing a 2D game or such, the temperature generally goes around 40C, and during a more-or-less last gen 3D game (hey, I'm behind the times) I notice it's in the upper 40s (47C or so maybe up to around 50C, though I don't think I've seen it actually hit 50C yet).

I've heard tell that the FX-8350 doesn't like anything above 61C or so.

My guess is that my CPU temperatures are probably acceptable and it's just that the stock fan is unfortunately pretty dang loud (as is to be expected). Also, I've got this in a relatively empty HAF X case, so the airflow is probably pretty good.

Do you think it's worth getting something like a Hyper 212 Evo or something for this CPU?

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea in general, I'm just not enthused about unplugging everything from my motherboard right now and screwing a mounting plate on the back of the thing right now... ...though, yeah, I probably shouldn't be lazy...

Thanks for any advice...

8350rocks

Distinguished
As you noted yourself, your temps are good where they are. They're high-ish based on your ambient, though they aren't terrible.

As for noise, well, I understand. The stock cooling setup sounds like a turbo prop airplane when it kicks into high mode. I went with the CM 212 EVO because I wanted something more effective and quieter. You could do the same thing for a mere $30 and it would be likely 5-7C cooler in your CPU readings...plus it wouldn't sound like an airplane throttled up for take off when you're gaming at high load.

Shoofuss

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013

Thanks for the response. :)

Yeah, I think I need to just get off of my duff and find the time to unplug and unscrew and flip over the Motherboard and get a mounting bracket on there...

I'm just waffling on it because, other than the noise, it at least doesn't seem all that urgent for me right now... The fan noise just makes me feel like the world is coming to an end, so, it sort of makes it seem like the heat is worse than it actually is...

EDIT: (...actually, it's like around 43C and 44C when playing that goofy Ghostbusters game from a few years ago... Not exactly a benchmark but it seems sort of adequate... It might also just be late Summer temperatures still kicking in...)

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
I'd keep an eye on the temps, but wouldn't worry too much where you are.

I've recently built an FX-8350, and have been having temperature issues (stock cooler, not OC'd with ambient under 25C), with the core temperatures hitting 68 or 69 degrees under load.

I went to AMD tech support, and they told me to RMA the chip - their advice is 61C is the maximum for the chip. Mine was hitting 68 within about 90 seconds of having load on the CPU; I've just got to find the time to take the machine to bits now!

Shoofuss

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013

Hey there! Bleah, that stinks about your CPU...

I just installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo... I mean like... I JUST now did it... ...like an hour ago or so... (it was a little harrowing, but maybe it'll go towards overcoming my fear of installing aftermarket, non-thermal pad heatsinks... Ugh, had a few annoying moments... though, everything seems okay..)

...I had to take the entire motherboard out to attach the mounting bracket... ugh... but it's done...

Right now, I'm at about 32C at 23C ambient....

So, I'm at about 3 degrees cooler than I was but I'm keeping an eye on it. According to Arctic Silver's instructions, there's about a 250 hour break-in period until you start to get to optimal cooling temperatures. I did tint the metal cap and heatsink, so maybe it'll be a little faster...

I'll see if I can remember to post back here in a couple of weeks to see if anything's better...

EDIT/UPDATE: I have a feeling that even after the initial period Arctic Silver needs to leech into the tiny nooks and crannies of my heatsink and metal cap, the 3C drop is probably what I'll see in my idle temperatures. Though, I have noticed under the same ambient conditions and under high load that the CPU temperature isn't even breaking 40C (it's been 39C at the most) so, during load I'm about 5-6C lower.

Oh, I should also mention that the stock fan that comes with the Evo (I think it's called an XtraFlo) is leagues quieter than the stock heatsink fan. Even if this is as good as it gets, I'm satisfied with it. Though, I'm also only using the one fan that came with the Evo. I may try a push/pull setup and that might shave of a slight bit of heat... though, from what I've read, the differences between one fan and two on the Evo seem negligible.

...though, I'm beginning to wonder if my slightly above average temperatures are caused by the proximity of my graphics card to the CPU socket. It's hard to say... I suppose I could try moving it to the lower PCIe x16 slot (on the Crosshair V Formula-Z) and see if it makes any difference.