Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P good for semi over clocking?

omagi55

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Hi guys!

I'm building a new budgeted CPU, can my motherboard(ga-970a-ds3p) support my cpu AMD FX-8350 in semi overclocking? And one more thing, should i get corsair h100i or 80i? My casing is NZXT PHANTOM STEEL FULL TOWER. Does my casing support h100i?

Thanks! :)

b0w

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Well, AMD mainboards are better equipped when compared to Intel boards in the same price range, so you can't go wrong with it. I had an ASUS board with an 880 chipset before my current rig and I didn't miss anything, it wasn't the best back then either. I also did moderate OC, just like you intend to do. The biggest difference between 990 is, you can't do Crossfire/SLI.
But looking at your other parts, you may consider to spend 20 bucks more and buy a better board, so you have more reserves. Either that or you are better with air cooling, since the AiO watercoolers have a worse noise-performance-ratio, especially at low temperatures (I had an H100i, but switched to air eventually). If you overclock higher, it pays off, but for that you may need a better board.
The Phantom hast two 200mm fans at the top, and there seem to be holes for 120 and 140mm fans, thus a 120mm radiator will fit, also a 140mm one (NZXT Kraken). There's also the option to install it like this (120mm push, 200mm pull, it's surely powerful):
nzxtphantomh100i.jpg

omagi55

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Nice gaming rig bro! It really looks awesome!! I already bought nzxt phantom steel and corsair 100i so far so good. My temps are pretty awesome while gaming i am only hitting 40c max!:) as for the h100i i cant fit a 200 mm fan cause of my memory ram it has big heatsink on it. So mybe ill drill some new holes and put the metal thingy bracket. Is it okay to drill it? About the mother board maybe ill upgrade next time to a asus mobo.. But for now ill stick with this one for a year or so, cause i dont have money for an asus board for now. Thanks again bro!