Display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode driver, has stopped responding and has successfully

dudalemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2013
i have a GTX 550Ti which is about 2 years old. when my computer screen goes to sleep (the computer itself does not go to sleep) and i move my mouse i get no response for about a minute then my desktop screen shows up and has this message.
Display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode driver, #number has stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
the driver is always up to date and does this with every version.

LATELY when my computer screen goes to sleep and i move the mouse after one minute the computer beeps to tell me it reset, the beep happens about 3 times (30 seconds after the other) before my screen shows up that my computer is starting.
then it shows me the error message
Blue Screen
Locale ID: 5129
BCCode: 116

what is going on? my partners graphics card is older and she still hasn't changed the thermal paste on hers so it can't be that can it?

FoxyCoxy

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Asus Sabertooth Z77
i5 2500k OC'd 4.8Ghz
EVGA GTX680 SC+2
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Corsair TX750M
Windows 8 64-bit

Hi,

I too had this same error with my rig. I re-installed clean drivers and even RMA'd my GPU with EVGA. But this did not solve it...

Using EVGA Precision X, I noticed a spike in GPU activity before the crash, when the temp of the card reached 77 degrees, . So I made a custom fan profile using Precision X, so that when temperatures reached 75 degrees, the fan speed increased dramatically to keep temps below 75.

This has FIXED the problem and I haven't had a driver crash since. I dont know why the card spazzed out when it reached 77 degrees... seems a pretty average temp to me. But i guess the card will also last longer keeping it well below 80!

dudalemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2013
thanks for giving some info. i still up'd the fan speeds and it still does it. when you RMA'd it did they accept the RMA or did they return it? I have had this problem on two different motherboards now so it must be the graphics card.
i live somewhere where the shipping costs quite a bit so i wouldn't want to pay shipping both ways if they wouldn't accept it.

FoxyCoxy

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Yeah I RMA'd it online. I had to pay £15 postage one way, but then they pay for the return. Got another refurbished card (which should be different from the one I sent) and I got the same issue...

You shouldn't expect this issue when you pay £300 for a graphics card. Might try AMD next time!