Little bit of a noobish question, but could I have killed my i5?

Dan Hatcher

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
So basically my i5 laptop doesn't run anywhere near as well as it has done before; in fact, it's painfully slow. It's like using my old Win95 computer again.
I feel like the problem started after I tried to plug it in to my TV via HDMI so I could watch iPlayer (or something like that). It always coped fine with my HDMI v1.3 cable and I've played games on Steam on it occasionally. Then I plugged it in with an HDMI v1.4 cable and it struggled to even load the desktop. Like I say, since then it's been almost as slow as it was on that very day. I've run various cleaning tools several times but it's never really recovered.
My laptop doesn't have a seperate GPU and it relies on the Intel HD Graphics from the i5 CPU.
Short story long, could I have slightly fried my i5 when I tried it through the HDMI v1.4 cable?

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Simple answer, If your computer turns on, you haven't fried the chip.

In terms of speed, I doubt its anything to do with this HDMI cable so forget that.
Follow these steps to get your speed back.

Anti-Virus - If you don't have one, BUY ONE! scan your computer, check the scan settings and make sure you scan for everything and delete everything it finds. (I recommend AVG or BitDefender)

Cleaner - Download CCleaner (free version) from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner, run it, anylyse then clean, the click the registry section on the left and run that too.

Malware - Malware also slows down PCs, so download malwarebytes (free version) from http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Software - Sometimes certain software can slow down your PC... go into Control Panel > Add/Remove programs or Programmes/Features or what ever its called on your PC, and delete all software you dont need or use.

Defragment - Fragmented hard drives will slow the PC down because the HDD will need to try to find all the scrambled bits of information to run certain programs/software etc so run a defrag (in all programs, accessories, system tools or search for in in the start menu)

Then if you still have no luck, open the RUN utility in system tools (or search for it) and type in "msconfig" once that is open, click the "Startup" tab at the top, go through the list an untick everything you dont NEED when the PC is first on... DONT DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS or ANY INTEL DRIVERS!! (dont worry, if you untick them, it wont stop them from working, it just means they wont load then the PC is first switched on... so if you disable microsoft office... when the PC is on, if you need to use microsoft office, just click the program and it will open like normal) this just reduces the amount of programs running in the background that will slow the PC down, and if you think there is no programs running in the background there are, you just don't know about it)

I speed up PC's for a living, if these steps do not work, I've get a professional opinion, but I can guarantee these will work.

After every step, make sure to restart your PC.

Best of luck, and if I have helped, please click "Pick as the Solution"

vince232

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
i recommend that you reformat your laptop. although it will delete all your files. that will solve all of the problems stated above by dayle. and you can always buy an external drive to back up your files. but remember to scan it for viruses before you copy the files to your laptop

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

This would definitely be the easiest option, but then he will need to buy another OS?

vince232

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

oh i forgot about it! im used to pc questions so my initial thought is he has a cd for an OS. well then if he isnt willing to buy a new cd for windows. then all he can do is to go with your suggestion.

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Dan Hatcher, you can either follow my instructions (cheapest) or definitely go with Vincents idea of formatting the system and getting a new OS... personally, my suggestion should easily solve the problems.