how to remove spyhunter grub loader black screen

Osama Kamel

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
i have toshiba satellite c660-20x laptop with windows 7 home basic preinstalled

So recently I downloaded spyhunter to try remove annoying spyware, now it's gone, but i have a newer problem, always when i boot the pc this options come:

SpyHunter
Windows XP
Windows Vista/7

i tried to use media recovery creator to get the dvds but i was shocked to get the message as follwos:
"the recovery media creation is impossible
could not find HDD recovery folder on second drive of the first hard disk.
there is no valid HDD recovery environment on this computer"

i also tried to get options by pressing f8 but the button is not working
please try to help
thanks

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
You normally get a screen like that when you have multiple Operating Systems installed. I've never used SpyHunter, though I heard its quite old, and I'd suggest using something like Malwarebytes or another program that a bit more common (for support purposes).

1. Anyway, go ahead and uninstall that thing from within Windows using either the Add/Remove Programs control panel option in Windows XP or Programs And Features in Windows 7.

2. Once its gone, reboot and see if its still a boot option as it was before. I suspect it will be.

Once you're booted up again, open a Command Prompt (or the "Run" window) and type msconfig and press enter.

3. Once the System Configuration window appears, click the boot tab. Locate the SpyHunter entry and click delete.

4. Click Apply and then OK.

5. Reboot and check again.

You might also consider running something like CC Cleaner to get rid of any registry entries SpyHunter might have left behind.

Hope this helps.

[Select best answer if you feel like I helped]

Osama Kamel

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
hi AGx-07_162
here is the full history and a what i have tried and the outcome of all procedures:
i have toshiba satellite c660-20x laptop with windows 7 home basic preinstalled

So recently I downloaded spyhunter to try remove annoying spyware, now it's gone, but i have a newer problem, always when i boot the pc this options come:

SpyHunter
Windows XP
Windows Vista/7

i have to choose manually with the down arrow for windows vista/7, i have only w7 installed on my laptop

I've removed Spyhunter with "your-uninstaller pro",manually removed residuals from registry throgh "regedit"and everything.. but the problem was not fixed and there is still some residual folders and files in :windows/program files(x86)/enigma software/spyhunter

i went to "msconfig>boot" to check the default oparating system and it is windows 7 the one and the only

even the "elevated command prompt" > bcdedit revealed the same result.
here are some links for images and short video if you want to pay a look:

1-http://imageshack.us/a/img19/7250/6huo.jpg
2-http://imageshack.us/a/img19/8996/zyhb.jpg
3-http://imageshack.us/a/img405/6599/pn08.jpg
4-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYS5TrrlyDw

Finally i tried to use media recovery creator to get the dvds but i was shocked to get the message as follwos:
"the recovery media creation is impossible
could not find HDD recovery folder on second drive of the first hard disk.
there is no valid HDD recovery environment on this computer"

i also tried to get options by pressing f8 but the button is not working
please try to help ..... I don't want to format the pc, any solutions?..

thanks

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
1. Go to Control Panel and then Choose System

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

4. Under System startup, is Windows 7 the only option or do you also see Windows XP and that SpyHunter? (Just curious).

Try this when you're done with that up there.

Try getting into WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment). If have a Windows 7 install disk you can boot from that disk and choose "Repair". If you don't, during bootup press F8 and choose "Repair your Computer".

If this launches, go ahead and try to run Startup Repair.

Go through it, reboot, and see if you still have all those options.

Osama Kamel

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Thank you AGx-07_162 for your care
Under System startup, Windows 7 is the only option in the drop down arrow.
Unfortunately i have not created the recovery media on a dvd and i donot have widows 7 dvd to boot from in order to get access to recovery evironment. also f8 is not responding any more as the grub loader screen pops very fast in less than a second after the toshiba flash screen but i could reach the repair your computer 2 days ago and the same silly options remained the same.
THANKS

ittiandro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Not a solution but a remark.
I have the same problem. I tried your suggestions but they don't work. For some reasons now when I reboot to clean the SpyHunter's malware, I get what seems to be their own compact OS booting interface ( GRUB?). There is a sequence of prompts :
QUOTE Scanning MBR...MBR O.K ....Entering detection state...Scanning Host Directory...SPYHUNTER FIX not found..UNQUOTE. Bottom line there is no cleaning. Never seen this type of booting/cleaning interface before.
Is it possible to deactivate or delete from SpyHunter their " compact" booting interface and revert to what it was before?
Thanks

Ittiandro

Pooya_

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
I had the same problem on Windows 7 64 bits

Here is what you should do:
1- Create a repair CD (How: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc)
2- Put the CD inside and restart your pc. Your pc should automatically boot up when the disk is inside (if not you should change the setting in BIOS of your computer by pressing DEL button upon start)
3- Choose the language, and operating system (in my case, I just had Windows 7), press next and choose REPAIR (the first option).
4- Let the computer does what it want and at the end just restart the computer
5- My computer asked me to check the disk as well (I said: do it)
6- I removed the disk, restarted several times and Volla, no shitty SpyHunter error anymore.