Crossfire 7970 Ghz edition

Cyler12

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I plan on buying a XFX HD 7970 Ghz edition for ultra gaming. They are cheap for what they can do and I plan to crossfire with a second one. The reason to crossfire the copy is to do eyefinity gaming on three monitors at ultra settings. Will my money be going in the right place?

Solution
For what you're trying to do, 7970's are a good solution. I run 2x 7950's in crossfire for gaming at 5760x1080. When I need extra power I overclock them to just past a stock 7970 ghz edition. While your choice is a good solution for EyeFinity there are some things to keep in mind.

1.) AMD Is showcasing there new lineup within the next week so you may want to wait and see the performance of the newer cards. If nothing else the newer cards will force the price on the older cards down.

2.) AMD has issues with crossfire and runt frames. While the latest beta drivers have fixed this issue, the fix does not yet apply to EyeFinity setups. While some games seem to perform well for me, there are definitely some that seem to have studdering...

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
For what you're trying to do, 7970's are a good solution. I run 2x 7950's in crossfire for gaming at 5760x1080. When I need extra power I overclock them to just past a stock 7970 ghz edition. While your choice is a good solution for EyeFinity there are some things to keep in mind.

1.) AMD Is showcasing there new lineup within the next week so you may want to wait and see the performance of the newer cards. If nothing else the newer cards will force the price on the older cards down.

2.) AMD has issues with crossfire and runt frames. While the latest beta drivers have fixed this issue, the fix does not yet apply to EyeFinity setups. While some games seem to perform well for me, there are definitely some that seem to have studdering issues in EyeFinity that I would blame on runt frames vs not having enough muscle since its so inconsistent.

Overall I'm definitely happy with my 2x 7950's and if you're wanting Multi-monitor gaming then the 7970 is definitely one of the top choices.

Solution

Cyler12

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Wow didn't know about their new lineup coming out. I will be sure to wait for that. Also another question regarding the two 7970's I currently have a Corsair cx750w PSU on the way, I am afraid that it won't be enough for my future build.

i5 4670k
ASrock extreme9/ac z87
2x 7970 ghz edition
32gb Vengeance Pro ram
five fans, two of which are for my h100i

Hi - The cx750 will run that system, it has enough +12v amps for
a sys with 2 7970's in CF. My only issue would be balance, meaning
a budget/opening price point level PSU in a higher end system. That system
is better served with a higher quality unit.

Cyler12

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

thank you

Yes, not only are there several tutorials, there video versions on youtube. You could even do it
without those if you wanted to. The new PSU will have the same connectors as the one you now have (20/24 pin mobo, power connector, a separate CPU power connector, more SATA power connectors than you will need for drives, some molex/peripheral connectors, and a quality 750w or above will have at least 4pcie connectors).

But, I suggest you read/view one of the many tutorials 1st. Yes, 850 is more than enough and a wise choice as well. Please stay with known to be
good quality brands/models; Seasonic Gold/Platinum, Corsair HX/AX, XFX - XXX series or black series, Rosewill Capstone/Fortress/Tachyon series.
There are others as well,

Cyler12

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Sorry to bug you again but I'm thinking of just getting the new AMD gpu when its out. Lets say it has the power of the 7990's out now (dual gpu). and after that just because I like overkill I want to crossfire them. Would 850w be enough or should I bump that higher?

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

If your budget allows it I would bump up to a good quality 1000 watt PSU to give yourself future flexibility. I run an 850 myself and when I get everything running at max I am easily pulling over 600 watts. At 80 percent efficiency an 850 watt PSU guarantees 680 watts continuous power so I am approaching that limit.

Well, I have no idea of what the power requirements will be for the new cards, but it is reasonably safe to say a good quality unit would be more than sufficient to power a system
with 2 high end GPU's. It would not be enough to power a sys with 2 - 7990's tho as that would be like powering 4 7970's. But, 2 single GPU's should be no problem.

TRENDING THREADS