Will upgrading RAM also upgrade my graphics of HD 4000?

sam2013

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Hi everyone.

My laptop came with 2GB of RAM 1600 MHz it is, checked it CPUz.

When I check my Video Ram under Display in dxdiag, it shows 742 MB. I was hoping to at least have a gig, so I was wondering if I upgrade my ram to 6GB (Adding 4 more of 1600 Mhz), is it also gonna help me increase my video RAM?

sam2013

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway I can know how much exactly is it (Video RAM) gonna be if I add 4GB of 1600 Mhz more and how much increase will it have if I only add 2GB?

I would just get two matched sticks of 4 gb each ( 2x4Gb ) and leave it at that. It should be plenty. It is on my Laptop running an i3. You can open the task Manager and click on the performance tab to see what is being used and what is available.

prudhvirazz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
1 x 2 GB RAM is installed on my Lenovo B490. 3rd Gen i3 3110M, 2.4Ghz, 3MB Cache. I want to updgrade the RAM.

Will there be a significant difference between 2 x 4 GB @ 1600 Mhz and 2 x 2 GB @ 1333 Mhz ?

I only play World of Warcraft. Currently it plays fine 80-90 FPS at lowest settings @720P. I only played for few minutes as this is a recent purchase. I know it won't play wow at such high FPS over long term

Hi. You would be better srever in starting your own disscussion, rather than piggyback it on another one. Having said that, I don't know what your laptop will support as far as Memory speed goes. Most Likely 1333 Mhz max. Akso, the OS will determine how much RAM you can install. If you are running Windows7 64 bit ( or any 64 bit Windows OS ) youi can use more than 4Gb which will be helpful with the integrated GPU. I have a laptop with an i3 2110 and it plays Oblivion well, although I didn't get that laptop for gaming.

prudhvirazz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
I did start 1 thread few weeks ago and 1 more thread today. Didn't get much help. Thought OP would have tried something here and could help me.

8 GB Max @ 1600 Mhz. But Intel website says 32 GB Max. Windows 7 64 bit.

Depends on the OS. Windows 7 Ultimate will run up to 32Gb of Ram. Windows 7 Home Premium maxes out at 16Gb. Seeing as how the GPU Memory is hared with the System RAM, the more you have in there the better. 16Gb is fine ( I am only running 8Gb in mine and does fine).

prudhvirazz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
mine is Win 7 HP.

Question is "Will there be noticeable difference between 2 x 2 GB and 2 x 4 GB?"

I already have 2 extra 2 GB cards. If there is not much difference then I will not spend on 2 x 4 GB cards. If there is noticeable difference I will go for 2 x 4 GB.

Anything more than 8 GB is overkill I think.

Dear,

With increase in capacity of RAM, your VRAM or shared memory will increase so no issue there and yes it will be good for the overall performance of the system and the built-in graphics card. No, there is no easy way to confirm how much memory will be given to graphics card.

Before upgrading pl check how much capacity is supported by your laptop. If it supports say 8GB then go for 2x4GB this will give your improved performance.

Remember with 32 bit versions of Windows you will get near around 3.4GB out of four or above RAM. This is a limitation of 32 bit windows. In that case you'll have to either go for 2x2GB RAM or upgrade to 64 bit windows.

Happy Hunting!