ASUS VG278H - A Few Questions

Troof2Troof

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hi All,

I finally ordered a new monitor and I'm really excited about it because I never had a 120Hz or 3D monitor before.

I got the ASUS VG Series VG278H. It has a lot of good reviews and looks sick on paper so I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

Does anyone have this monitor? I've read a lot that it's not calibrated that great from the factory, which brings me to my first concern.

1.) Can someone point me in the right direction (to a link) on how to calibrate the 120Hz 3D monitors? I've never calibrated any monitor beside basic brightness and contrast.

2.) What's the deal with Lightboost? The monitor come with NVIDIA 3D Vision built in and two pairs of glasses.

I'm trying to research as much as I can so I can start gaming with it as soon as it gets here, I'm really excited.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction as to setting this beast up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can't calibrate it because its TN, it's always going to look crap in terms of contrast and colours. In my experience the whole Lightboost thing is a bit blown out of proportion, its meant to decrease motion blur, it does, but it means you loose alot of colour and brightness as you are basically running the monitor in 3D mode, normal 120Hz looks totally fine.

I personally have not used Lightboost, but those who use it, rave about it. It is hard to know what it would be like without one, unless you remember the days of 120hz CRT's as that is what people compare it to the most. Without Lightboost, 120hz blurs together a bit, making the increased hz harder to notice in comparison to 60hz, but with Lightboost, every frame is crisp, making that difference more noticeable. At least that is what is what I keep hearing from those who use it. Even those who didn't like the 120hz monitor, always mentioned the 120hz and Lightboost was pretty awesome, but wanted better colors in the end.

In the end, it is a trade off and one worth trying out at the very least.