Wired network problem.

Shawn23

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Having trouble connecting to the Internet via Ethernet cable. I have a Dell XPS 435mt and I have tried multiple routers, hard drives, and Ethernet cables and no wired Internet connection is being detected. I don't think any physical damage happened to the Ethernet port. Computer originally came with a networking card that I no longer want to use. Anyone know the problem?

Check Device Manager, make sure the onboard network card is there, if not, go into the BIOS and make sure it's enabled there, if there was an add-on network card, it may have been disabled. Check for new drivers for the network as well from Dell if the network card is listed in device manager.

The fact that it had a second network card would point to the fact that there may have been an issue with the onboard card. There are not many reasons why someone would install a second network card when the onboard one works.

Shawn23

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I have went into device manger (windows vista 32bit) and i have found many exclamation marks under "ehternet controller, sm bus controller, and system interupt controller". I have to install the drivers but they are not installed on my computer and i do not know which ones to get from Dell's website.