2400 Euro budget Rig.

Bergfinn

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello Tomshardware!

I have been saving up for a while now and doing some intense research into what build I am going to make.

Keep in mind that this build is not only a gaming rig but also a video editing platform and a general design rig (I shall refuse thy heretic mac platform!) hence the future proofing in the 32 gigs of RAM.

Intel® Core™ i5-4670K
2x ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
Corsair 32 GB DDR3-1600 Kit, Vengeance Pro Red
2x ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5
Corsair AX760i, 760 Watt PSU
Western Digital Black, 1 TB
Corsair Force LS CSSD-F240GBLS, 240GB SSD
ASUS DRW-24B5ST, DVD-burner

Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh
Scythe Mugen 3 Rev.B PCGH-Edition
2x Corsair Air Series SP120Q Quiet Edition 2 pack (4 extra fans)

I am pretty set on the 32 gb RAM, the 2 770s and the sexy Formula.

What I need your advice most on is the CPU cooler, I don't have the money right now for a full liquid cooled system (I will do so in the future when I will overclock the snuff out of, right now not so much considering its a pretty solid system for current gen software and games) so I am going normal cooling for now, I had my sights set on the Scythe Mugen 3 but I am unsure if I will have room for it on the board in combination with the memory.

General thoughts and even critique are most welcome :) I haven't build a pc in 7 years and that's the usual lifespan of a PC for me. Going to be shorter now goz huzah proper income! but I am still planning on using this rig for about 4 years, extending its lifespan with overclocking when required.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Kind regards,
Thom.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Are you looking to go to any particular OC before you go liquid? If 4.4 would suffice, can go Hyper 212 EVO ($35) up from that would be a Phantek $75 or Noctua $80, I went with the Cooler Master GTS V8 ($100) which is great, am running 4.6 on my 4770K and nice and cool......on the DRAM for the video editing and design work, for $20 more can up to the GSkill Tridents 2133 set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231618

the extra bandwidth and speed will be beneficial for the other areas (and a little for gaming also), the Tridents also have a removable upper fin (no problem with the Hyper cooler as the fans are adjustable), but can come in handy with other oversize coolers.

Also, unless go tri-SLI or have a need for the extra USB3 and extra SATA ports might look at the ROG Maximus VI Hero mobo from Asus, mine has taken everything I throw at it, (I use it to test DRAM, GPUs, CPUs, et al for other new builds, upgrades, etc) runs cool at 4.6 (4770K), 32GB of 2666 Tridents

Bergfinn

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
4.4 OC before liquid is enough, by the time I want to go higher were 2 years into the 4 year plan. Good catch on the memory! they are actually cheaper then the corsair ones in the Netherlands so thanks for that, that gives me additional room for cooling. Might go for the Cooler Master GTS V8 that thing looks very sexy and ill trust your experience with it.

Aye I noticed in the past minor improvements with other peoples rigs when they upgraded their memory so again thanks for that pointer. I might go tri-SLI in a year or 2 depending on the GPU changes in the coming future I might also not, I want to be at least somewhat ready for most things for a 4 year period, and the Formula gives me just that.

Even more thanks for proper constructive critique :)