Can't Enable AHCI

Aquai

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hi all,

I recently purchased an 840Pro SSD and installed Windows 8 on it as my primary drive.

The issue I'm having is that the when I'm using Samsung Magician the drive is not showing as AHCI activated and SATA interface is showing as N/A

I am using an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 and have tried various settings in the BIOS to no avail.

The latest option was to follow this guide: How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8

When I follow the steps above I am always met with the blue screen when changing the BIOS to AHCI...when I change back to IDE it boots fine. Interestingly the SATA3 Mode is set to AHCI in BIOS but this doesn't seem to be having any effect? I've also noted that when I go into the drive settings in BIOS and set it to bootable the startup message says no HDD found but then continues to boot?

I'm going crazy trying to figure this one out! Please help?

I'm pretty sure that you need to enable AHCI before you install windows, I can't recall exactly where I saw that but it might have been somewhere on the OCZ forum when I was rooting through posts whilst trying to sort the issues I was having with one of their SSD's.

Aquai

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Hi,

Yes you are meant to, unfortunately I assumed my M/b would enable it by default but didn't so now trying various workarounds posted online with no success.

I'm keen to avoid a reinstall if possible!

Thanks

I don't think there is a workaround unfortunately, at least that was the impression I got from the OCZ forums, it's something about the way the MBR set itself up or something but whatever it was I don't think it can be changed after the act as it were so a reinstall might be your only option.