5920G Hard resets and Stuttering

Heimer21

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Acer Aspire 5920G
Mother board: Chapala
Chipset: pm 965
South Bridge: 82801 HBM (ICH8-ME)

Hello everybody! I have a problem with this laptop. While using it, it tends to freeze up and if audio was playing during before freeze it will make this nasty stuttering noise. Time is constantly resets it self(I believe it is called hard reset) I changed cmos battery to brand new, time still resets. I think Motherboard is bad but before I invest into a new motherboard I want to be sure as close to 100% as possible that it is a faulty MB and not something else. Can I please get some help with the diagnostic to achieve this?

I will provide all the needed information very fast. Thank you guys.

*UPDATE*#1

The CMOS battery was installed by an IT professional I'm pretty sure he fallowed all the precautions, but if you still insist Its a battery problem, I can remove it check it with a multi meter. Removing the Laptop battery to see how it behaves on the unplugged is interesting and will do that after I wake up in morning. ID like to add sometimes it wont turn on when I press power button, i have to press it many times, unplug and plug in the adapter and then it turns on.

*UPDATE* #2

Ran memtest 31 hours 19 passes 0 errors
Checked CMOS battery for Voltage 3.3v
Replaced CMOS battery the right way.
Tried using laptop on adapter with out the battery still freezes but somewhat less frequent. 3 times in 3 hours, as opposed to every 20 minute stutter.

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Firstly, Remove the laptops battery, make sure any power leads are unplugs, remove the CMOS battery and leave for 5minutes, that will reset your BIOS, put it back together, enter the BIOS and change the date and time in the bios before booting into windows.

If that doesn't work, try another few CMOS batterys (some new CMOS batterys are dead on arrival) make sure you leave the CMOS battery out for 5minutes everytime you try a new one

If still nothing, your motherboard is the issue, maybe the circuits are damaged so it keeps loosing power...

Heimer21

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Dayle, I have done what you have proposed(see post updates), Is there anyway it might not be a faulty mother board is there anything else I should test? I would love to pick your help as solution after I'm done with this problem.

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Unfortunately Iv'e never heard of this issue before other than it being the CMOS but it clearly isn't... sounds like more trouble than it's worth, i'd recommend phoning your motherboard manufacturer's technical helpline, explain what's happened and they'll most likely just replace it.

Heimer21

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Ok I have last question, If I purchase a working mother board and replace it will all the problems go away? As in there is no chance that it is CPU or Video card problems?