Which wireless router?

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
This is not my expertise. I have a new HD Smart TV that I want to run with wireless. Also occasional use of a laptop. I'm told I won't need the new AC technology and it would be better to make do and wait for that to mature.

Would like to get the benefits of the HD TV (internet), some streaming from the desktop as well as photo shows etc.

Windows 7 Pro; 58" SMART VIERA® Class E60 Series LED TV

Would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom C

The C

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
You should go for a 802.11 N router.

This offers you the perfect streaming system to use between your TV and your laptop.
Also allowing you decent speed (depending on your connection and ISP package)

You can pick a router up for around £50.

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I've just been reading about MoCA, and am trying to evaluate this option but am too unfamiliar with it. Am I correct that these Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter Kit for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500CK01) at $107 on Amazon would be a viable alternative. I like the idea of using cable and this is a new house with coax in each room.

Might this be a more viable option than hoping I don't overload wireless?

Hope I'm asking a viable question.

Tom C

They tend to work pretty good but they are incompatible with many whole house DVR systems. The mess directtv one wire system up real bad.

They do offload the wireless as you suggest. It is unlikely you overload the wireless unless you have a lot of devices. If you were to run backups over it maybe you could use a lot. Things like video streaming INSIDE the house can use a lot if you do silly things like send uncompressed video.

If you are mostly going to use the internet even very cheap routers the wireless is many times faster than any most internet connections.

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I've decided that, due to the coax cable I'm going to go with MoCA. However, i'm very unsure about a router, not being familiar enough with capabilities.

I would like to replace the Comcast modem. My needs are for something to connect the internet to the Smart TV (MoCA), drive my laptop (wireless) and the desktop (Ethernet). I see things like the TP-LINK TL-WR841HP 300Mbps High Power Wireless N Router for around $US50.00 to the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit, about $US 150. Will these let me do away with the Comcast modem?

I don't think I need dual channel, just not enough traffic from what I understand. Also, want the security of a router. Is it smart to have them combined, or separate? Ease of use is nice, very nice.

Guidance is appreciated. I'm kinda lost.

The dual band is not so much the traffic level but the interference. The key problem is you need to have both a router and nic cards that support it.

If you don't need the dual band then both those routers will perform about the same. The Asus tends to have more software features if any of those are important to you. The software difference tend to be the largest factor in the selection of a router the basic wireless capability of all routers is pretty much the same. Only you can decide which things you need or don't

Neither of these devices contain a modem you would need to buy a different box. I would try to set the comcast device to bridge only mode....assuming this really is a router and not just a modem. This makes it into a dumb modem. I am going to bet it makes no difference to replace the modem. Most cable companies already use some of the better one like motorola.

They do make routers that have moca ports in them but it has been so long I cannot find a link at the moment...am finding lots of DVR you can hook your PC to though.

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have an Intel 82579V Gigabit Network card which I believe will handle the speeds.

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to getting this setup.

Regards,

Tom C