Devices Recognized With Wrong Drivers

ExpensiveBrick

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Typing this from my phone. Sorry for any spelling/grammatical errors.

I'm running XP SP3 and recently started getting the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSoD. So I went to device manager and noticed CD and DVD roms with the yellow exclamation marks. Tried to update driver. No go. Deleted the drives themselves and then started updating all drivers just to be sure. When I got to USB Connections. The USB composite device updated to a Synaptics device. Must have been the keyboard, because when I used the mouse to update the next device down it again updated to a Symantics driver and *poof* the mouse stops working. Neither mouse nor keyboard work in regular mode. Nor in safe mode. The keyboard works during boot, but fails once the driver is loaded. If I repower/replug the device it loads the Symantics driver. Can't boot from CD because the exclamation points must still be there. In short, I have no mouse, keyboard, or CD/DVD. Any suggestions?

The Synaptic driver is usually for a touchpad. Are you working on a desktop or laptop computer? If a desktop, do you have a connection for a keyboard other than a USB connection (PS/2 type connection)? Some computers have the PS/2 connections for a mouse and keyboard. If yours does then I suggest using one until the USB problem can be resolved. As far as the CD drive goes I have seen where removing upper/lower filters in the registry can help solve the problem (have used this fix before myself). Another option is to physically disconnect and then reconnect the drive to see if it is detected. I realize the CD drive info is useless until you get the mouse and keyboard working. Once you are able you should uninstall the Synaptic driver.