What must i do in order to work in the semiconductors field?

Sujeto_1

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hi tomshardware's readers, i'm goin to be precise with my question: I want to work in the semiconductors field, designing, producing, testing or selling chips, OR atleast Hardware.

I'm 27 years old,I live in Venezuela, Southamerica, just finished my bachellor degree of System Engineer in a local university. "Zero" work experience, but anyway, in my country doesn't other job opportunity beside Programming, telecomunicaitons and servers, that is pretty boring for me. Obviously here doesn´t exist any semi conductor development so i wanted to ask you for guide, what must i do from my position to work in a semi conductor company as intel or at least in a hardware factory related like nvidia or amd.

I know this sounds as a childish quesiton for some people, Oh i want to be an astronaut! but joke apart hardware and semiconductor production seems pretty exciting from my limited point of view.

I still can make a Master degree in my country, but in which field? Computer Science, Electronics? I must emigrate i undersand but how, to where, of course, i don't want to crosse the mexican border to clean toilets in USA or whatever. I think i can be usefull in a highest level than that.

Solution
Funny, back in the 90's I used to work with microcontrollers, mostly the Intel 8051 family. Yes I did some programming, but actually it was machine code, quite obsolete now. Everyone uses C++ and similar programming now. Yes, there is still a demand for programmers. And sort of a hybrid between programming and circuit design is digital design. This is where engineers use Verilog, which is a program language that actually describes electronics circuitry. Really cool stuff.

Your age is not an issue. In the US you do not put your age on your resume and you do not put the year you graduated from high school. In fact, you would just put the dates you graduated with your Bachelor's Degree and your Master's degree. People will assume you are...
I am an electronics engineer that designs circuits in integrated circuits. What you need is a Masters in Electronics Engineering. It so happens that mathematical ability is your best indicator on what kind if design engineer you will be. You really have to be the best in math. Able to do calculus etc. I am in analog/communications engineering and really enjoy it. Try to specialize in your Master's degree in the field you are interested in. But a Master's in Electronics Engineering is your ticket to most anything.

Sujeto_1

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Nice, thanks babernet_1, let me ask you another thing, my career even when was hard teached maths and electronic, the most practical job was programming chips X8086 and PIC microcontrolllers, actually i was part of a proyect of expantion of our computer laboritory based on X8086 was really enjoyable, i was wondering does this has something to do? or is another field? or is a activity that is not being doing anymore? can you give me some ligths?

Other question: my age? 27 years old, would i be too old to consider this kind of adventure? as i understand in America, people already got Master Degree at my age?

Funny, back in the 90's I used to work with microcontrollers, mostly the Intel 8051 family. Yes I did some programming, but actually it was machine code, quite obsolete now. Everyone uses C++ and similar programming now. Yes, there is still a demand for programmers. And sort of a hybrid between programming and circuit design is digital design. This is where engineers use Verilog, which is a program language that actually describes electronics circuitry. Really cool stuff.

Your age is not an issue. In the US you do not put your age on your resume and you do not put the year you graduated from high school. In fact, you would just put the dates you graduated with your Bachelor's Degree and your Master's degree. People will assume you are in your mid twenties. Not a big deal.

Computer Science is a real good degree to get too. But is is not a circuit designer degree, but would be good for programming and other computer operations.

Solution