Upgrading a Dell Inspiron 620 mini tower

LondonGman

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi guys, new to this group and need your advice.
I am anticipating the release of GTA 5 rumoured between November 2013 and April 2014 and therefore would like to upgrade my Dell PC. Dell does not support upgrading their PC so I have come here. I bought a Dell Inspiron 620 Mini Tower in October 2011 and it currently has the following spec. .

*Windows 8 Pro (64bit)
Intel i5 2310 CPU @2.9GHZ
1.5 TB SATA II Hard Drive (+ 2 other Hard drives, E: F:, for storage)
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory (2 DIMMs) 1X4GB+1X2GB
*NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Samsung SyncMaster 2243NW

*Non original upgrades.

I have changed a few items from the original Dell build.
-The original Dell Pc came with Windows 7 but I bought Windows 8 Pro direct from Microsoft and installed it on the PC.
-Also I changed out the Dell supplied 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
-I added 2 hard drives which had all my stuff from an old pc into the Dell pc.
-Also I had to fit a more powerful PSU up to handle the new graphics card and hard drives.

I read your sticky so here goes.

Approximate Purchase Date: next couple of months
Budget Range: £ 300-400 After Shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: playing GTA 5 in glorious hi-res to MS word doc
Are you buying a monitor: currently have 22" monitor running at 1680x1050 but would like a 1080p monitor but not sure if difference is significant
Parts to Upgrade: Suspect mobo, case and cooler. Hope that is all
Do you need to buy OS: Hopefully not, I bought Windows 8 when Microsoft was selling them for £25 and it has no mention of OEM
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PC World or any good online site like Dabs. I often have cash and with PC world I can pay with cash)
Parts Preferences: Like Intel and Nvidia
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Never tried sli
Additional Comments: None
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: GTA 5 and future proofing
Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Only what is above and what you consider worth saving

PS: please note, my PC is currently fine for most of my stuff and I am tempted to wait till an actual release date of GTA5 to be announced with minimum specs, before I attempt upgrading my PC, but I would like a quick guide and advice, so I know what to be prepared for.

LondonGman

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Upgrade just the graphics card? Interesting idea I never considered, especially since I have already upgraded it once.
I can use the spare cash to buy a nice 26” 1080p monitor.
Also I could leave the upgrade to the very last minute I need it when the prices would be lower and it would be a whole lot less hassle.

I presume you feel the chassis is OK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts