PSU : Corsair VS650 vs Cooler Master Thunder M 620W

People say that VS650 is an entry lvl PSU so how can I know if a PSU is entry lvl and how many watts does it really give?

So I was thinking to get a modular one almost the same price range. Itll save me trouble of routing unwanted cables.

Please discuss
9 answers Last reply
More about psu corsair vs650 cooler master thunder 620w
  1. Xtian1911 said:
    People say that VS650 is an entry lvl PSU so how can I know if a PSU is entry lvl and how many watts does it really give?

    So I was thinking to get a modular one almost the same price range. Itll save me trouble of routing unwanted cables.

    Please discuss


    First off (my opinion) Cool master psu's are junk. Stay with one of these brands:
    Corsair
    Rosewill
    Seasonic
    XFX

    Next what is your budget for a psu?
  2. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($78.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $78.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 01:39 EDT-0400)

    It is semi-modular, modular psu's are really expensive ($100.00+) for a decent reliable one. This is a pretty good deal.
  3. Im from the Philippines and for a 3rd world country its hard for me to keep extending my budget for the parts. The PSU I chose only costs around $50.

    The Cooler Master PSU costs $5 more and is modular but less 30watts. I know the fact that label doesnt really totally give the exact wattage thats why I'm asking this to you guys. A friend of mine calculated the Corsair VS650 says itll out approx 600-620w. I dont know about this new one and if it is worth the trouble
  4. Yes, but what i am saying is that if you go with anything besides the following:
    Corsair
    XFX
    Seasonic

    Reason being is that you don't want to damage your components you spend so much money on. I read an article that someone bought a generic or cheaper brand psu (Cool Master) and it started their pc on fire, fired everything, all to a faulty wire. The choice is yours but that's just my recommendation. Look at this one:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($22.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $22.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:05 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $56.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:06 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $47.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:07 EDT-0400)

    Hope these help, please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions/concerns.
  5. ddbtkd456 said:
    Yes, but what i am saying is that if you go with anything besides the following:
    Corsair
    XFX
    Seasonic

    Reason being is that you don't want to damage your components you spend so much money on. I read an article that someone bought a generic or cheaper brand psu (Cool Master) and it started their pc on fire, fired everything, all to a faulty wire. The choice is yours but that's just my recommendation. Look at this one:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($22.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $22.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:05 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $56.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:06 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $47.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:07 EDT-0400)

    Hope these help, please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions/concerns.


    Cant order @ newegg man.. Im far away and shipping will cost me alot
  6. Xtian1911 said:
    ddbtkd456 said:
    Yes, but what i am saying is that if you go with anything besides the following:
    Corsair
    XFX
    Seasonic

    Reason being is that you don't want to damage your components you spend so much money on. I read an article that someone bought a generic or cheaper brand psu (Cool Master) and it started their pc on fire, fired everything, all to a faulty wire. The choice is yours but that's just my recommendation. Look at this one:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($22.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $22.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:05 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.50 @ Newegg)
    Total: $56.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:06 EDT-0400)

    or

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $47.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 03:07 EDT-0400)

    Hope these help, please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions/concerns.


    Cant order @ newegg man.. Im far away and shipping will cost me alot


    What sites do you prefer I can look them up that way?
  7. What are your specs?

    The VS650 , puts out 50 amps on a single 12 volt rail.

    Maxed out at 600w total.
  8. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    What are your specs?

    The VS650 , puts out 50 amps on a single 12 volt rail.

    Maxed out at 600w total.


    Mobo
    ASRock Z87 Pro3
    RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB(2x4gb) DDR3 1600 Kit
    Optical Drive
    LG GH24NS95-BK DVD-RW Sata Black
    Case
    Aerocool Vs-3 Casing Black
    PSU
    Corsair VS650
    CPU
    i5-4670k
    HDD
    Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 64MB, ST1000DM003 (SATA 6 Gb/s)
  9. The VS650 will be fine for your setup.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Power Supplies Corsair Components Thunder