• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Yeha, I've been holding myself back from buying a 7850@ $130 or 7950 @ $170 for a while now... Tomorrow will jbe the day I decide whether to continue my gpu less computer (gpu was overheating so I'm using a temp card) until the new line launches or hop on one of these amazing deals...

I'm hoping that they destroy Nvidia and keep the price as low as possible, not because I'm a fanboy or anything but for some competition (in terms of price) from Nvidia

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
fingers crossed AMD bring out a value beast and nVidia drop their prices dramatically. i want my first foray into multi-gpu to be with trusty ol' SLI.

I'm pumped because on Monday, my two Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2GB cards arrive and I can finally upgrade my old XFX Radeon HD 4870s. I am chomping at the bit for this. I've used Crossfire for years and never had a problem so for those who say they want "trusty ol' SLI", all I can say is "Don't knock Crossfire until you've tried it." They really aren't all that different.

I dunno... I recently had a very bad experience with upgrading / downgrading Radeon drivers which took around 4 hours to resolve including editing Windows Registry (not recommended for the feint of heart). Got my Radeon HD 5850 up and running again, but the issue I was trying to fix "Video Drivers Has Stopped Responding And Has Recovered" was not resolved for Skyrim. I didn't matter if the game was vanilla or modded. Somewhat frequent with Civ 5, but absolutely doesn't happen with Mass Effect 3, GTA 4 or Tomb Raider.

I thinking about switching to nVidia... but not sure yet...

i tired crossfire 6850's......never again, got rid of them a month after getting the second one. Poor game support and stuttering, no thanks. SLI is much better.

Don't know what to tell you then. I've had my two XFX HD 4870s Crossfired for about 5 years and never had a problem from crossfire. Maybe the stuttering problems started after the HD 4xxx series.

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
The cards just announced will no longer require a Crossfire cable connection - all cross-card data is being routed through the PCI-e ports. Apparently this is going to improve microstutter and frame pacing issues, but I'm going to wait for independent testing before believing that. It does sound hopeful though.

The R290x (top of the new line) sounds like it is going to leave all of nVidia's current offerings in it's dust. So glad I waited.