Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Google Banning Most Plugins in Chrome Starting Jan 2014

Last response: in News comments
September 25, 2013 1:06:34 AM

Will this affect adblock plus or has that already made the transition to the new API system?
Score
September 25, 2013 1:23:41 AM

@DiaSin
It shouldn't, though that's what I was thinking when I read the title.
Score
September 25, 2013 1:31:01 AM

I think that it is good. Being a Linux user myself, I just hate that we cannot play most free games like Battlefield Pla4Free since they use Unity which is not available on Linux.
Score
September 25, 2013 1:31:04 AM

I think that it is good. Being a Linux user myself, I just hate that we cannot play most free games like Battlefield Pla4Free since they use Unity which is not available on Linux.
Score
September 25, 2013 1:44:48 AM

Good thing I'm not using Chrome then...

I don't like having decisions forced on me. Show a warning that they're unsafe, sure, but don't ban them outright.
Score
September 25, 2013 2:28:58 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Good thing I'm not using Chrome then...

I don't like having decisions forced on me. Show a warning that they're unsafe, sure, but don't ban them outright.

Mozilla is doing it too, and sooner. I doubt we will see all plugins going away anyway, anyone that really cares about their plugin will re-code it on the new API system and all will be golden.
Score
September 25, 2013 3:08:30 AM

I just won't upgrade, until I see the choices I want
Score
September 25, 2013 4:47:02 AM

Don't worry guys, this isn't really a problem, not many plugins nowadays use NPAPI anyway, this transition is for the better.
Score
September 25, 2013 5:30:45 AM

Funny that Google uses the architecture extensively and the builtin flash plugin doesn't. Google argues it's due to crashes but I've found Chrome crashes on it's own fine when trying to open pages with flash.
Score
September 25, 2013 7:16:34 AM

Just don't jack with my POP-UP and AD-Blockers. Hell, this site alone, Ad-Blockers saves me from 23+ ads per page!
Score
September 25, 2013 7:25:48 AM

Exactly Dyseman, I did not realize how clean it keeps most sites until I do a fresh install on a system and browse a familiar site without plugins. All the sudden I'm bombarded with pop ups, hover pops, and ads coming from all over the place. If an ad just annoys the hell out of me, what makes these people think I'm going patronize their product or site?
Score
September 25, 2013 8:31:13 AM

If this is what Google will be doing, and you want to avoid banning to certain addons or plugins; our advice:
"keep your old chrome browser with the old already-install plugins and addons." see?
Score
September 25, 2013 9:00:09 AM

If this is what Google will be doing, and you want to avoid banning to certain addons or plugins; our advice:
"keep your old chrome browser with the old already-install plugins and addons." see?
Score
September 25, 2013 12:45:58 PM

If by any chance you can't have AdBlock working on Chrome any more (eventhough I don't thinkg AdBlock uses the NPAPI), just switch to Firefox: AdBlock+ is an extension (i.e. it uses the Firefox extension API, which is radically different from the NPAPI in that it runs inside the browser's sandbox using the browser's resources and is not an independent process), not a plugin.
Score
September 25, 2013 1:27:32 PM

This article is talking about plugins like Flash Player, Java, Adobe PDF Reader plugin, etc. This will not affect extensions like AdBlock Plus. Learn the difference!
Score
September 25, 2013 1:46:07 PM

Quote:
This article is talking about plugins like Flash Player, Java, Adobe PDF Reader plugin, etc. This will not affect extensions like AdBlock Plus. Learn the difference!

Ah, ok then. But still... leave my adblocks alone! Extension or Plugin or Scriplet or whatever LOL I don't much care about the others really.
Score
September 25, 2013 7:05:46 PM

If AdBlockPlus goes, then so does Chrome.
Score
September 26, 2013 6:29:55 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:

What do you mean? The Unity Integration plugin is only available in Ubuntu, not Windows.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:08:24 AM

Google not happy about adblock is the main reason for the move.
Score
September 26, 2013 5:43:34 PM

programmin said:
Sangeet Khatri said:

What do you mean? The Unity Integration plugin is only available in Ubuntu, not Windows.

Not the Unity window manager, the unity game engine.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:30:02 PM

This is very bad news for developers community. We are moving to the web and apps fully controlled by a large corporations.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:30:19 PM

This is very bad news for developers community. We are moving to the web and apps fully controlled by a large corporations.
Score
November 4, 2013 10:30:50 AM

Looks like a good time to move to Waterfox.

Yeah, most of us uses adblock because of shit like Youtube and annoying sites with 50 flash ads around the page.
Score
November 10, 2013 9:41:26 AM

We have been using something THAT old till today?

Well its about time.
Score
January 1, 2014 9:59:34 PM

In addition to adblock, you can do openwrt or ddwrt and uses hosts based ad blocking as well. For those times when you've a fresh install or working on someone's computer at home.
Score
!