Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Asrock extreme 6

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi there,
I'm choosing a motherboard for my system and am tossing up between the asus z87 pro, asrock extreme 4 and the extreme 6. There is a $30 difference between the extreme 4 and 6 and a further $25 difference between the extreme 6 and the z87 pro. I was leening towards the z87 pro as I liked the features that it came with, built in wifi, good over-clocking and fantastic control software but what do you guys think?
Thanks
Finn

none. the z87 pro is overpriced for what it offers and the component quality of the extreme4 has medicore quality parts. the extreme6 has a ton of good features, but otherwise useless (dual nics are completely useless unless you are hooking the thing up to a home NAS)

get a z87x-d3h from gigabyte. no frills and a great price for the quality they offer

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies,
The video cards will either be a gtx 770 or 780 or one of radeons new cards when they are released. As for the motherboard suggestions, I will certainly have a look at the gigabytes
Finn

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
If you were referring to the gigabyte ud-3h then I did have a look at that originally when choosing between it and the z87 pro but general Internet consensus and reviews seemed to say that the pro was a better board? What is good about the ud-3h in comparison to the pro besides it being cheaper?
Thanks again for the quick replies :)

i am not talking about the ud3h. the z87x-d3h i am talking about is the ud3h but without the extra sata ports that you arent going to use

the only benefit of the asus boards is the software that you use once and the huge amount of extra sata ports that you arent going to use. in other words, there isnt much of a difference other than price

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Sweet, found it, so the $45 saving is worth it? How does gigabytes software compare with asus? Is there any performance difference between the boards?
Thanks for the help
Finn

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Why about the audio quality, from what I gather the DAC in both the pro and the ud-3h are meant to be better than the d3h, is this true? Would it be worth a look at a better board?
Thanks
Finn

the asus has a 1150 codec while the ud3h and the d3h use the older 898 codec. the difference in sound will be minimal as they both dont have any good hardware to ensure their full potential anyways. if you want good sound for a set of high end headphones, just get a asus dg 5.1 and call it a day.otherwise, in day to day use, there is no difference

Finnb

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

What about msi's z87 gd65, how does that compare?
Thanks for the help here though bigtroll.
Finn

the gd65 is the same thing as the asus but with slightly better componentry. still vastly inferior to a sound card

in other words, onboard is irrelevant except for the gigabyte gaming boards which uses an actual sound chip compared to the generic realtek