i5 3570k overclocking - performance based.

Which is better for computations?

• AMD multicore chips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel 3rd gen K series

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

heaven_

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Current overclock: CoreV = 1.18, freq = 4.1Ghz
max temp during 1 hour of prime test = 69 C*

config : =
case = nzxt phatom 410
fans = 1 intake front 120mm, 1 top out 140mm and 1 out back 120mm
cpu cooler = hyper 212 EVO push pull
mobo = GA z77x ud3h
cpu = i5 3570k
2 X 4gb gskill sniper 1600mhz

I am running a few programs that require high computation, and they usually take up 100% of the core so i cannot run more then two at a time. Is there anyway i can overclock this or add some component that would help me achieve better performance?

Also i have been thinking whether an AMD with 4 cores like the fx series would have been a better choice for this task? (just cause of the cores.)

Thanks in Advance as always.

mr1hm

Distinguished

clock for clock, any AMD FX 4-core will not beat the i5 3570k. i believe this is also true for the high-end FX 83xx AMD CPUs. what program is it exactly? if you want extra performance from a heavily threaded program, id say look to the i7s from Intel.

if it's a program like 3DS MAX, even my buddy's i7 3930k is @ 100% on all 12 cores...

it's possible that an overclock can help alleviate the amount of time it takes to finish a task but, seeing your temps already @ 69C w/ 1.18v and 4.1GHz, id say there is a possibility that there is too much thermal paste or an overtightened heatsink.

if you want to overclock a bit further, id take off the heatsink and re-apply the thermal paste and re-mount the heatsink making sure you don't tighten too much (just keep screwing the screws in until force is needed to turn the screws)

heaven_

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

I am running http://icmab.cat/leem/siesta/ it contains electronic molecular calculations, but i dont think i can change my processor any time soon and i will get a new thermal paste and redo the heatsink, it was pretty hard to get in the first place :/

Thanks for the fast reply :)
much appreciated.

mr1hm

Distinguished
as far as other improvements go, im not sure how heavily SIESTA utilizes RAM. during one of your runs, you should check and see if RAM usage is high as well. if you know SIESTA does utilize RAM, it may help to have high frequency rated memory modules.

if you're not sure whether it does or does not utilize RAM then we can just try an overclock your CPU a bit further after you've re-seated the heatsink. once we find a stable and healthy overclock for the CPU, we can attempt to overclock the RAM and see if it improves performance a bit further. :)

heaven_

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Each program utilizes around 2 gb of ram. I am running it on Ubuntu 12.04.
If i can run programs on all cores without loosing my systems ability to function normally that would be good.
current ram = 8 Gb and i also tried overclocking the gskil sniper ram above 1600Mhz at 1.5V didnt work out

mr1hm

Distinguished
ok i have one question, when you say each program utilizes around 2gb of RAM, does each program also utilize 1 single core? also, does this mean that SIESTA can run several programs @ once? (so if you have 4 cores, you can load up 4 instances of the program @ the same time).

as far as overclocking your ram, we can try raising the timings/voltages for higher speeds like 1866MHz.

making sure your CPU is stable with a overclock is just going to come down to lots of testing. because of this, it's generally recommended that you begin by increasing your turbo multiplier by 1 each time @ stock voltages until your system becomes unstable. once it's unstable, you can then increase the CPU Voltage by the lowest possible increment (so, leave your CPU Vcore @ Normal and change "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" to the next available positive value; for example, "+0.005v"). this will increase the CPU Vcore by the set value during idle AND load conditions.

mr1hm

Distinguished

looks much better, however, i still say you should re-mount the CPU cooler first cause 67C is quite hot for only 4.2GHz @ 1.128v. it's possible that it's a bad overclocking chip but, i feel like it's a bit too high even on a Hyper 212 EVO.

heaven_

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Alrite i will get a new thermal paste first

mr1hm

Distinguished

sounds great, id recommend Artic Silver 5 if you don't already have something else on your mind; it's been doing an excellent job cooling my 3770k w/ the TPC 812

TRENDING THREADS