Surface Type Cover 2: Thinner and Sensitive Under Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I think they mean the Touch Cover, but either way...I've had my Touch Cover for 9 months now, and I am still on the fence. I do have to apply more pressure to the keys than I would like to, so this change will be a welcome addition.

MS makes good hardware, I have little to no complaints about what goes into the Sufrace tablets and these touch covers. now their marketing and pricing? that can be worked on... a bunch of dancing college kids aren't gonna convince me to pay $130 on a tablet cover

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have a strong distaste for big radiused corners and huge bezels. To me it looks cheap and 90's. Even something like the MacAir with it's fine thin design when you open it up and look at that screen, your like, Ugh, what the heck. A surface pro with edge to edge screen at least the top part with very fine minimal corners would like much better.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I was fully "meh" about the Surface products but picked up an RT with Touch Cover anyway. It's pretty cool... but with Windows 8.1 having Outlook and it running Lync in snap mode, I have my main office with me on the Surface. I really like it now and am excited for gen 2 because my biggest gripe is the resolution. The new keyboards look awesome. I have a feeling this release is going to cost me.

HoneyBadger

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
@Warezme... If you have any technical experience at all you would be aware that any significant torque on the actual inner screen frame will cause a crack. Until the flexible screens become more prevalent a bezel will be necessary to dissipate the force from handling it - laptop or tablet.

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
@warezme
are you freaking retarded? have you even used a surface?? besides the other functions of a bezel already mentioned, surface rt uses the bezel for many of the gestures such as closing an app(swipe from top bezel down), switching an app(swipe from left bezel right) etc, how else would you be able to complete these gestures without an bezel?

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
@warezme
are you freaking retarded? have you even used a surface?? besides the other functions of a bezel already mentioned, surface rt uses the bezel for many of the gestures such as closing an app(swipe from top bezel down), switching an app(swipe from left bezel right) etc, how else would you be able to complete these gestures without an bezel?

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
@warezme

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Got to confess, I was a little underwhelmed by the touch cover (if that's what this article is actually talking about). Without distinct keys, I found I couldn't type nearly as fast as on a normal keyboard. This is ultimately my problem, and I also recognize that the touch cover is a very versatile device because it's basically a big flat sensor, but I wouldn't want to use one as my primary typing device for a long period of time.

The type cover on the other hand... Now we're talking. I still prefer a Bluetooth keyboard since I can move it around apart from the tablet itself - which is very handy for when I'm using the Surface in my arm chair - but if the pricing weren't so bloody high, I'd probably pick up a type cover for my RT. My hope now is that they fire-sale the old covers with the new generation of covers coming out...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Stevejnb, I understand there is going to be an accessory that clips to the Surface, then the keyboard, so they can be separated and used via Bluetooth, this may help the situation of always being attached being a drag

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Wow! Thanks guys for some actual positive and friendly posts... I imagine that, in the next few hours, this will be followed by 425 negative posts. :(

Either way a pre-order for the Pro 2 has been made :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

A broken watch tells the right time, twice a day! :pt1cable:

keats87

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
A few people have mentioned reservations about the touch cover (i.e. no actual key to press), and I thought I'd give my .02...

I picked up the Surface RT w/Touch for school (it was on sale and considerably discounted) and had the same reservations. My first week or so I found myself having troubles when I needed to backspace or type 'a' (buttons that I usually press with my pinkies). However, after a while I found myself adjusting and getting used to the location. I imagine that it is not something that most people can pick up right away, and can be a major turn off at first... but you eventually adapt to it. It's the same thing as when you buy a new keyboard that isn't quite the same layout as your old one.

This might sound weird as well, but I actually really like the absence of the audible sound of the key press. I've suddenly noticed how distracting 'loud' typers can be during lecture.

Gary Brandon

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
@warezme:
Despite the rudeness, wittermark does have a point. This is a Win8 device, and a number of the Win8 touch gestures do require a bezel to swipe from. Also, from a personal perspective, I have a Galaxy S4. It's a lovely phone; thin, with very little bezel. Unfortunately it often drives me nuts trying to type on as, unless I consciously keep my fingers behind the phone, sacrificing stability, they will often "overlap" the sides of the phone and hit the back key, or remove focus from the type window. A little bit *more* bezel might actually have been a good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.