Sign in with
Your question

PSU around 750W for under £100

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2013 3:18:02 PM

Long time lurker, love these boards, so many knowledgeable people here. I'm looking to buy a new PSU in the UK.

I have recently built a new PC but the XFX 750W pro PSU I bought from maplin has died on me after a few months. I sent it back under their "no quibble guarantee" and after 9 days mapin told me the best they can do is I can pay an extra £7 to "upgrade" to a Corsair CX750 or take a refund. They will not budge on this stance. So I guess I will be getting my money back. /end rant.

I'm hoping to SLI the GTX 760 in the future so I need 4 PCIe connectors. Modular would be nice seeing as space is tight in my case and the XFX was a challenging routing cables. I will do doing some mild overclocking, nothing outrageous as I'm air cooling.

TL/DR:
Im looking for a new PSU for under £100 to power:
Asrock extreme4
i5 - 3570K
GTX 760 gigabyte windforce (SLI in future)
256gb OCZ SSD boot drive
500gb WD black storage HD
6 120mm fans

I like the 5 year warranty and flat cables on the new RM750 from corsair but there are very few reviews seeing as its so new. HX750? XFX 750 XXX semi-modular? Any suggestions most welcome, thanks.

More about : psu 750w 100

a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2013 3:35:20 PM

One thing for you to bear in mind is that the 760's are 170w cards just like the 560Ti's were and I ran two of them for a couple of years on a HX620W PSU from Corsair.
September 25, 2013 3:54:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
One thing for you to bear in mind is that the 760's are 170w cards just like the 560Ti's were and I ran two of them for a couple of years on a HX620W PSU from Corsair.

Thanks for the fast response. So a quality PSU like the HX620 can run two 760s? Good to know, :wahoo:  but doesn't the HX620 only have 2 PCIe connectors? I realise I'm being picky on a tight budget but if I can get a quality unit with 4 PCIe connectors I would prefer it to using adapters.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2013 4:01:14 PM

roomeatthetop said:
Mousemonkey said:

Thanks for the fast response. So a quality PSU like the HX620 can run two 760s? Good to know, :wahoo:  but doesn't the HX620 only have 2 PCIe connectors? I realise I'm being picky on a tight budget but if I can get a quality unit with 4 PCIe connectors I would prefer it to using adapters.

The original one did (those are the ones I have) but there may have been an updated version. I use molex to PCIe adapters though, which I did for my 560's and still do for the 660Ti's that I'm now using.
September 27, 2013 12:31:51 PM

dottorrent said:
Seasonic M12-II 750w 80+ Bronze certified Semi-modular PSU - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-m1211-750w...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've decided to go with the Seasonic. It was at the limit of my budget but it's 750W which leaves upgrade headroom, it's semi-modular and it's Seasonic. The only thing that made me pause was the fact that it has been on the market for a quite a long time now. I'm going to take that as a positive though: By now Seasonic should have worked out any issues in production :) 
!