i7 2600K HD3000/GA-H67N-USB3-B3 running painfully slowly Win8

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
So I've installed Win8 on this setup using on chip Intel HD3000 graphics. All installs smoothly and windows boots in under 20 seconds. But this is with the Intel set to only 64mb frame buffer.

I set the frame buffer to the maximum (480mb) and boot. The boot starts fine (I can hear the disk whirring) and then it appears to stop, but if I leave it, after about an hour the system will boot, but it is slow, choppy and sluggish. I have tried various frame buffer settings between 64mb and 480mb, I get the same symptoms.

As a side note. My memory passes a memtest and as I dual boot to OSX on the other disk with a 480mb frame buffer (and graphic acceleration) everything seems to be working properly. So, it seems to me that win8 doesn't like something specific.

Memory timings?
CPU settings?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

i7 2600K 1155 using Intel HD3000 onboard graphics
GA-H67N-USB3-B3
G.Skill 2x 8GB Ares Series Memory DDR3 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks Sidd.

I am running the latest f9 bios.

The frame buffer does not have an auto setting. It is the amount of system memory that is allocated to the IGPU. 64mb is the default setting, but is not very useful for Photoshop use or playing games.

yes i understand that.....if you are using Photoshop and also play games.

the igpu is no good. i would suggest you get a discreet gpu for that purpose.

if that is not possible for you, i am afraid you have to be contended with 64mb or else you have to increase the frame buffer and re install the os again so that it does not read as a change in video memory. while doing so, you will not be able to change the buffer later though.

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Sorry, it really is impossible to change the framebuffer after installation? This sounds unlikely?

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

My apologies. I don't want this to come across the wrong way. I do believe that it is possible this is the problem. However win8 should be able to run at the 480mb setting.

I don't want to adjust it every now and then. Win8 won't install/run properly at a value other than 64mb.

I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

you can try doing 1 thing though.

change the frame buffer and than refresh you pc once from the pc settings/general tab.

see if that works

i use windows 8 on 1 of my machines on hd2000 (i5 2500) and intel dh67bl motherboard. i use auto frame buffer

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

freestyle_gus

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
So, I've fixed it. Kinda.

Windows 8 has an issue with my system running with two sticks of memory, take one out and all is well. It seems OS X isn't as fussy :/