gtx 780 and Dx11.2

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Short answer = no
Long answer = noooooooooo

XD Sorry, been wathcing Vicar of Dibley. =P

DX is a hardware enabled feature, and so in order for DX 11.2 to work, you need hardware that is designed to handle DX 11.2. Backwards compatibility isnt a problem, as if you had a card that could handle DX 11.2, it could also ahndle all other previous versions of DX.

I dont think there are actually any DX 11.2 enabled cards out yet, although Im sure it wont be long. to my knowledge the only things that will support DX 11.2 so far is the Xbox One and Windows 8.1 (But again, Windows 8.1 needs the hardware to go with it).

But I wouldnt worry too much about this. Games campanies appreciate the fact that most of the gaming market at the minute are using either DX10 or 11. Seeing as you currently cannot get hold of DX 11.2 hardware yet, they will want to manufacture games that most people can play. Theres alot that can be said about the subject.

Bottom line is, no, your card does not support it, and no amount of updates will make it support it, but it makes no difference at the minute anyway. =)

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Ahh, I did not know that. Apologies, I have not been keeping up with GPU progress for a couple of months. But even so, from what ive researched so far the 700 series of GPU's does not support 11.2, and they do not fully utilise 11.1 either. I would expect NVidia's next releases of GPU's, whether they continue the 700 series or move on to the TItan series or otherwise, to fully utilise all aspects of 11.1 + 11.2.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
FYI, just found this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/28/directx-11-2/

11.2 is exclusive to Xbox One and Windows 8.1, so unless you are using or plan on upgrading to Windows 8 in the future, it makes no difference anyway.

I am using Windows 8 at the moment, and am eagerly awaiting the Windows 8.1 update, but I cannot say im overly bothered about 11.2.

one of the highlighted feature coming with DX11.2 is Tiled Resources. from nvidia blog:

These demos are excellent highlights of the power of Tiled Resources. By working in collaboration with Microsoft, our NVIDIA team has been able to influence the design of Tiled Resources and deliver a solid driver that taps into the huge NVIDIA installed base. There are over 90 million NVIDIA GPUs capable of supporting Tiled Resources. For developers, that means an enormous, instant installed base for a powerful new feature. I’m really looking forward to seeing how developers take advantage of this newly available capability.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/06/26/higher-fidelity-graphics-with-less-memory-at-microsoft-build/

it is mention above some of nvidia gpu already able to work with the feature. also note when the article said nvidia was able to influence the design of tiled resources. when MS announce Dx11.2 there are stir in the Red team how their driver won't work with Dx11.2 and need reworking because they did not expect it to happen like they think it will.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
To be honest, no.

Yes, there are slight graphical enhancments, but only if the game manufacturer utilises them. AS it stands, I doubt they will right now, as not alot of people have dx11.1 or 11.2 ready cards. It'sl like when Blu Ray first came out, most of the new movies were still only realeased on normal DVD as not many people had Blu Ray Players at the time.

Along with graphical changes, there will be bug fixes, new bugs introduced, minor updates to software, that kind of thing. Nothing that is going to be a game changer. (Pardon the pun).

I will be more inlined to upgrade my GPU when DX 12 is brought out, becuase THAT will be a major release, rather than a minor one.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

I did notice about the tiled resources, but this is hardly something to get excited over if you ask mel. DX11.2 is jsut like Android 4.3. A minor update. Nothing special. But, that is my personal oppinion, others may disagree. =)

Undoubtedly, some features of DX11.1 + 11.2 will be able o run perfectly well on DX11 cards, but in order to make full use of the features, a DX11.2 specific card will be required.