Purchase pre-built or build question

zenpierre

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
My 16 year old son has saved $1200 for a new desktop gaming PC. Mostly League of Legends ("Gold and rising" are his words) but he likes to play Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed line, Fallouts, etc., -- just about any of them. (He is still a good student by the way.)

I tried to talk him into building a PC for the experience. He doesn't get too enthused at the thought, even though I've done it successfully and offered to help.

Anyway, I recommended this site and he immediately clicked on the Digital Storm link rather than any of the PC build forums I requested he read. He asked how I felt about the Level 3 PC they offer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sincerely,
zempierre

Hi. I prefer building as you get what you want that way. Some of those Boutique sites offer some pretty good rigs. They big issue with any is the quality and support. I can tell you from what I've seen on various sites to stay away from CyberPower. They tend to have issues out of the box and poor support. Digital Storm seems to be pretty good and I can't say as that I have heard anything negative on them. There have been some new players coming on the scene. One that I can't remember the name of, looked good at first blush, but then when I got into the parts they used, I wasn't all the impressed and for that they were overpriced in my opinion. One of the biggest things was the power supply they used. Something I haven't heard of, and thus I would be very reluctant to purchase one. Ibuypower seems to be pretty good and they do sell prebuilt stuff through NewEgg, I think, and maybe TigerDirect. Another option would be Alienware. They kind of slipped a bit after being purchased by Dell, but seems to be coming back as far as quality goes. I know the laptops are better constructed.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Before building my own gaming rig, I too first looked into pre-built systems. My main issue with most of the pre-built systems I've seen is like the first link above. Really strong CPU and lots of RAM, but VERY weak graphics card. Above all that, the whole system is over priced in terms of the gaming performance they deliver. They are somewhat backwards in that you don't need the most expensive CPU but you do need a very strong graphics card.

The PC in the second link from digital storm is a decent gaming machine for the price, however for the same money, you can build something even faster/better on your own.

The third link is from 2008 and the components aren't even relevant these days.

If you son is dead-set on buying a pre-built machine, digital storm looks to be a good choice.

If you build it yourself, you could do something like this, which would be faster and better than the digital storm PC for about the same cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.45 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($268.30 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.58 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.25 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.87 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1144.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-26 12:21 EDT-0400)

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I have windows 8 and game. It works just fine. In fact I prefer 8 over 7.

zenpierre

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks everyone for the great replies and particularly the build specs. I plan on discussing these replies with my son this evening. I think that the input may direct him toward building seeing as the general consensus is a better machine can be built for the same price.

I too suggested avoiding Windows 8, but found MEC-777's supportive comment intriguing. Published reports notwithstanding, I've not heard that many good comments from Windows 8 users. Maybe change is difficult? My son is 16 and has adapted from XP to Vista to Win7 pretty easily, so maybe Windows 8 is in his future? Clean loads typically go over pretty well in my experience (upgrades not so much!).

With that in mind, and in your opinion, what is the gaming future of the SteamOS? My son says that League does not run on Steam. I've not seen much of the LoL series championships but do those folks run League on Windows machines?

Thanks Again Everyone!

I don't know about League. I do know that although I buy "Hard Copies" of games, because of the Copy protection, I have to run it through Steam anyway or Origin ( EA titles ). Because of the GUI in Windows 8, it doesn't make for a good gaming experience. As for the SteamOS, from what I've been hearing, and it isn't much, it doesn't seem to be going over so well. I don't think you really need it to game, but in more and more cases, you do need steam. If you decide to play say Fallout 3, you will have to install steam and sign up. That is mandatory, the OS is not. I started out with Windows 95 ( although I had a brush with Windows 3.1 on a friend's PC ). Before that, I was still on a Commodore 128.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Several friends of mine are hard core PC gamers and work with programing, networks, purpose-built PC's etc. for a living. They all suggested I go with Windows 8 for my latest gaming build.

I'd heard a lot of negative things about windows 8 beforehand, but decided to trust their suggestions. I can honestly say, I'm glad I did.

Yes windows 8 is significantly different from 7, than 7 is from XP and Vista. But that being said, IMHO it was a step in the right direction.

I watched no tutorials and had no previous training for windows 8, I just simply installed it and began using it. It didn't take long to get used to where things are and how to set it up the way you want. I DO NOT miss the start button, mainly because I rarely used it to begin with! Every thing I need and use I pinned to the task bar. IMO I find it much easier to do what ever it is I need to do. Once you have it customized, it really does save time.

I don't really use the metro layout, I just switch to the desktop on start up and leave it like that. Some prefer the new metro layout. To each his/her own. This new level of customization is another reason I like it. I'm an android fan and love the aspect of being able to set up your OS layout to be exactly the way you want it.

In terms of gaming, so far I have played the following without a single issue:
-Medal of honor single and multiplayer
-BF3 single and multi
-Crysis 2
-World of Tanks
-Planetside 2
-Arma II (DayZ mod)

All the newest games should work just fine, but I can't speak for some of the older titles. After a quick search, there seems to be lots of people already running LoL on windows 8 without any problems. :)

Windows 8.1 will be released soon (will be a free upgrade for those with 8) which is to address some issues that I'm honestly unaware of.

I think a big part of the issue is people don't like change. I happen to love it. It's fast and snappy and again, the level of customization just goes well beyond the capacity of windows 7. It made things easier for me, but that's my opinion.

The Steam OS is a little different. That will allow gaming with games available on steam. For games outside steam, the PC you have that OS installed on will allow you to stream a live feed of a game you're playing on another windows machine, to your TV (or another display). It's a little tricky to explain but I think for the purposes of the machine your son will be using, it would be best to stick with windows. ;)

Just a few more words about building vs. buying pre-built. For me, assembling the PC was half the fun. You also gain the satisfaction of knowing you bought components that were optimized for your specific needs and budget and the simple fact that you built a whole computer with your own hands! It's also a great learning experience. Knowing how it all works is a great benefit considering the growth of technology these days.

This always helps to get some input from someone who has used the OS or whatever in question. My knowledge comes from various sites, although thereis one that I moderate and it is getting good marks over there by some and thumbs down by others. I haven't really seen anything that would get me to move from Windows 7 though. I might have considered it, if it hadn't been for the radical changes and the addition of Metro.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

It certainly makes for interesting discussions. ;)

If I already had a desktop PC and a copy of windows 7 I could use, I wouldn't have bothered making the switch either. Might as well save $100, no?

The thing is, I was building my new PC from scratch (first PC build in 8 years) and only had a laptop as my primary PC for the last few years (with windows 7). So I had to buy an OS for my build anyways. Figured I might as well go with the latest and also thought it wise to take the advice of my friends who game and work with PC's on a daily basis.

What is it about the changes you don't like? What if those changes make it better and easier to use? That's the experience I've discovered.

Again, it's like with the whole start menu beef that people have. They've been so brain washed to use the start menu that they refuse to accept that there might be a better, faster way of doing things? I'm not trying to offend you or anyone else, I'm just speaking in general. I'm all for improving and advancing things. If nothing ever changed or improved, we'd still be using DOS... lol :p

But I mean to each his/her own. Some people still prefer things be a certain way. Thankfully they still have the option. At least for now. ;)

Not real big on the start menu thing for sure, but I don't really give it that much thought as they have done something. I do not like having the Metro included. Well, you were doing a new build, so I guess it made sense in going the way you did, not to mention the savings. Mt Windows 7 is Retail so I can take it with me. I built this one in the fall of '11 then upgraded it from the 2600k to 4770k this past June ( 1st week ). It gets a bit heated over on the forums I moderate over Wndows 8 and Windows 7. That is usually the way though when you get the fan boys of whatever, be it Mac / Windows, Xbox / PS3, or whatever. We have some over there that have not been too happy with gaming on Windows 8. I'm like you in that to each his / her own. As for Windows 7, they'll have that option until 2020. By then they may have come out with Windows 9 or whatever they may call it.