Seeking advice for a new gaming PC

MauriciusRex

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hello everyone. I have been looking into building a new gaming PC these last few weeks, but I am completely new to it, and have no idea what to look for, or what exactly works best for me. What started it all is my CPU, which is getting old, and it's really starting to show. Naturally, I tried to find a new and better one. But what started as a simple idea quickly turned into quite the learning experience. But after a week of searching, I have finally pieced together something I like. Now I just need some expert opinion on whether or not my choices are good, and what could be improved.

So here is what I've found so far:
- NZXT Phantom Special Edition Black/Orange
- Intel Core i7-4770 3,4GHz
- ASUS Maximus VI Hero (Socket-1150)
- Corsair CX 750W PSU
- Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 1600MHz 8GB
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB BK OEM
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Currently, it's about $1442, and I'm trying to keep it around $1450.

I also currently have a Geforce GTX 560 Ti, so I don't see the need to upgrade my GPU just yet.

The reason I went with the i7-4770 is because I'm a bit biased. I wanted the newest and the best on the market, as it is my CPU that is the cause of my woes. And since I am looking to build a PC that can last the next 5 years (since I plan on studying at a university), I thought it was the most prudent choice. I was, however, looking at the i5-4670 to save some money, but as I said, I'm a bit biased right now, and I'm not too fussed about spending a bit extra on a snazzy new CPU. :pt1cable:

I was looking at different motherboards, and was impressed with the ASUS Z87-A, Z87-Pro, and the Z87 Sabertooth. But I ultimately decided to go with the Maximus VI Hero due to watching some reviews on it. It sounded promising, and it has a fairly decent price. And like the CPU, I'm not too fussed about spending a bit more than I have to on a motherboard, as I plan on sticking around with it for the next 5 years.

As for overclocking, I have never done that before, and I don't think I want to put my new computer at risk, as I fear I'll end up breaking the machine instead. That's why was going with the K-less i7-4770, as it is a bit cheaper too. But I may want to factor that in when dealing with a motherboard as well, but I'm not sure on which choice would be the best for me here.

Other than that, I want to hear some opinions on my choice of PSU, RAM, and HDD/SSD. I honestly don't know how much power I will need for this PC. I do plan on upgrading my GPU somewhere down the line (maybe in about a year or two), when, hopefully, the prices on Nvidia's 700 series has dropped a bit.

I was also interested in some suggestions for a new disc drive. My current one is a rather bad combo-drive, and I was looking to replace it. I was thinking about one that can run blu-ray discs as well, since I some times watch movies on my PC. But I don't know if it's worth it.

Lastly, there is a CPU cooler that comes the CPU, but I was wondering if it'll be enough, or if I should invest in a better one. I just don't want to go with liquid cooling, because I've never set it up before, and I don't think I'll need it.

Well, that's it, I think. If I've missed anything, do let me know. And I hope my wall of text wasn't too much of a bother. Cheers!

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Looks impressive, however I will suggest my version of it (take it or leave it for what it is worth)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.94 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($224.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On DS-8A8SH DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1234.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-26 10:21 EDT-0400)

I upgraded your processor to an i7 with a faster GHz base rate, which will really show in games, along with a new motherboard (this one can SLI-crossfire, and have nice over-clocking along with the fancy new UEFI Bios, plus its an ASUS). I gave you 12 GB of ram at 1600 MHz, a little future proofing if you will, along with a Corsair h100i water cooler (to keep those temps down), also downgraded your SSD to a Samsung Evo 128 GB (operating system and programs), and kept the 2 Terabyte drive (games), I gave you a bigger more reliable power supply (overkill) for future SLI-ing or Cross-firing, and the optical drive i chose has a nice touch to it. If i was you i would save the rest of the money, and either get another 650 ti or sell the one you have and buy a 770.

popperd9

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Here are my suggestions for a strictly gaming PC....

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HQ2l
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HQ2l/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HQ2l/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.18 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DriveSeagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5 ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1291.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-26 11:30 EDT-0400)

I went with the i5 since an i7 is pointless for gaming. Hyperthreading is not utilized in games and is the reason you would purchase an i7. I included the 212 EVO cooler so you can overclock your 4670K. I also chose the Ripjaws 2133MHz RAM which is very fast RAM for the price. Your 560 Ti is a pretty old card and I included the HD 7970 which is a MUCH faster card and will allow you to max out about any current game on the market at 1080p. The TX 850 power supply will allow you to Crossfire/SLI any card on the market and overclock the whole system. Other than that, everything else looks good!

MauriciusRex

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thank you both for the quick replies. I've taken a gander at both your suggestions, and they both look interesting. But I forgot to mention two important things.

I live in Denmark, so importing hardware is going to be expensive. It's easier for me to buy locally, but it also means prices will be slightly higher, and some hardware will not be available.

The other thing is that I don't have any plans on doing SLI/Crossfire yet. I think it would be a lot easier for me to buy a mid-range GPU rather than two low-range GPUs and with an even more expensive PSU. I want to leave the option open, but for now, I want a PSU that is more appropriate for a single GPU. I just don't have the money for a new GPU right now, and especially not two! :)

I had a look at your suggestions, and I do like them. However, since prices are higher here in Denmark, I ended up with a price point much closer to my original build. Anyway, here's the updated build based on your suggestions:

- Intel Core i7-4820K 3,7GHz
- ASUS P9X79 (Socket-2011)
- XFX ProSeries Core Edition 750 PSU
- Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
= $1,463

I went with the CPU and motherboard you suggested, and I changed the PSU to one similar to the one you suggested, but less expensive. I also went with the SSD you suggested, as it would otherwise become too expensive. I chose not to go with 12GB RAM, as I don't think I need more than 8GB for the forseeable future. I also don't don't want water cooling just yet, so I went with popperd9's suggestion for a CPU cooler.

In comparison, I tweaked my original build to this:

- Intel Core i7-4770 3,4GHz
- ASUS Maximus VI Hero (Socket-1150)
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
= $1,462

The difference is that I get a bigger SSD in exchange for a different CPU and motherboard.

I understand your reason behind going for the i5, and I do think it's a wise move. As I said in my OP, I was a bit biased. I like your suggestion for a CPU cooler, but since I don't plan on overclocking, will I need it? I could get it if I do plan on giving overclocking a shot, but for now, I'm a bit reserved.

The RAM you suggested are not available here in Denmark, unfortunately, and the G.Skill Ripjaws I could get didn't seem very impressive in comparison, which is unfortunate.

As for the GPU, I will look into it after I've bought my new computer and have some money again. But since I don't plan on doing SLI/Crossfire, I think I will stick with a smaller PSU, but I don't know what is enough for run my system.

Anyway, I tweaked my original build around your suggestions, and here's what I got:

- Intel Core i5-4670 3,4GHz
- ASUS Z87-A (Socket-1150)
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
= 1,257$

I changed the CPU and the motherboard to what you suggested, except I went with the K-less model CPU, as I have no intentions of overclocking. But do you think I should get the K-version to leave the potential open?

I also decided to go with a 750W PSU, as I don't think I need a big one just yet. I went with one similar to what ddbtkd456 suggested, as it was cheaper than a Corsair PSU with 750W, but I did have a look at a Corsair TX750 PSU, which is more expensive. Though, I don't know which is better, or if it's worth the increase in price over the XFX ProSeries.

Other than that, the price dropped considerably, and I think I may just go for this build because of that.

I just have one question regarding the motherboard, what's the difference between the Z87-A and Z87-Pro, aside from the size of the boards?

badboyrog

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
if you dont go to overclocking...forget the maximus hero , get a cheapest one.. the hero mobo is built for overclocking and hard gamer because of his features.
and take the i5-4670 instead because you can not see any difference between i7 and i5 in gaming performance
you will save a lot of money
dont forget to have a dual channel memory kit

MauriciusRex

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

It says it's an LGA 1150 socket, which the i7 supposedly needs. Or am I reading it wrong?

Yeah, I don't think I even dare to overclock, so the Maximus VI Hero may be wasted money. And I do see the point in going with the i5 instead.

And just to be sure, dual channel memory kit is when you get a RAM package with two identical RAM sticks, right? As in, 2x4GB, yeah?

badboyrog

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
''And just to be sure, dual channel memory kit is when you get a RAM package with two identical RAM sticks, right? As in, 2x4GB, yeah?''

YES! and it give 30% more performance so that count