Think I killed my PC!

lordmullin

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
While installing a new GPU, I had to unplug a few things.... then after putting them beck where i THINK they should go, nothing works. The power doesn't come on, the fan, nothing... I can see the red light telling me power is getting thru.
Help!
Thank you.

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Where is the red light coming from? ie. the case, mobo, psu? Try disconnecting the graphics card and powering up without it. You my have also lost a screw somewhere in the system, possibly behind the mobo therefore causing a short. There's a whole slew of things that could go wrong when installing a new component. We need more info about your system as well.

lilpopjim

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Your GPU might be a little bit too beefy for your system or you have a faulty PSU. As SMAWELL pointed out you could of accidentally dropped something or something crawled behind your mobo shorting it out against the back plate!

gbumoon

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
It would be very helpful if you could take a photo of your computer. Much easier to troubleshoot if we can see what we're working with.

lordmullin

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thank you everyone - I just needed to look a lot harder! There a couple of tiny 2-pin plugs that were evidently on the wrong pins, just millimetres away...!
I'm now back up & running - but with the old lower-spec GPU.
When I put the new bigger one in, it all powered up nicely, but nothing came up on screen.
I put the old card back in and bingo!
So I'll have to assume the GeForce 9600 is too hot for my system:
XP SP3
Pentium Dual 2.5GHz CPU
2 GHz RAM

As for the motherboard & chipset (still learning what's what, by the way) I've no idea.

Is there a particular hardware combo that the GeForce 9600 prefers?

Thanks chaps - in reading all your responses, I stuck with it and kept going back to it to look afresh.

lilpopjim

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Ahhh Glad to hear you kind of sorted it out! That set-up sounds fine!

May i ask what power supply you currently have? Because it does sound like the 9600 requires too much power. Power which you can't provide!

lilpopjim

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Ahhh Glad to hear you kind of sorted it out! That set-up sounds fine!

May i ask what power supply you currently have? Because it does sound like the 9600 requires too much power. Power which you can't provide!

lordmullin

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks Jim! That would make sense... I don't know what power supply is in there at the moment, but I wouldn't know how to remove & replace, so I'll take it in to my local PC Wizard - much safer in his hands!
Thanks again to everyone - much appreciated.
Tim.