Black Screen after vid card driver install

fierohink

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I replaced the original GeForce 7300 LE with a GeForce 210 in an Inspiron 531 running Vista 32bit.

When I first started up the machine, everything worked and windows tried to install PnP drivers. It failed to install VGA adapters. I installed the supplied drivers from nVidia which prompted a restart. On restart I get through the Dell Splash, the Microsoft loading bar, and then black screen. If I restart to Safe Mode I can load all the way to a running machine.

Any suggestions on getting this new card to run? Or do you think it came DOA? I will reinstall the original card to confirm it isn't a mobo issue.

Also, if I unistall the drivers to the 210, I can start up in Normal Mode all the way except for reduced graphics performance at higher resolutions.

fierohink

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Problem appears to be getting better. After about a dozen restarts, allowing Windows to download updated PnP drivers, uninstalling generic drivers, and allowing windows to install new PnP drivers. I have restarted all the way to a desktop image that has frozen. UGH.