Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recap: AMD Radeon R9, R7, Mantle, TrueAudio, Social App

Last response: in News comments
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 26, 2013 10:03:06 AM

AMD FTW! Can't wait to see some reviews and benchmarks on the new line of cards! It is a great time to be a gamer
Score
a c 1406 U Graphics card
a c 355 À AMD
September 26, 2013 10:09:11 AM

Anxiously waiting for the reviews!
Score
Related resources
September 26, 2013 10:21:58 AM

Great Job AMD , keep up the good work ,, looking forward for some benchmarks and reviews
Score
September 26, 2013 10:38:54 AM

8-core optimization... SWEET. Thank you Xbox and Playstation!
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 10:46:53 AM

icemunk said:
8-core optimization... SWEET. Thank you Xbox and Playstation!

I love AMD as you can tell by my own GPU, avatar, and past posts, but from a neutral perspective, that 8-core optimization will really shine next next year on an Haswell-E platform from Intel with DDR4 when the newer games really start to use these optimizations.
Score
September 26, 2013 11:35:27 AM

this funny......
Score
September 26, 2013 11:36:08 AM

this is funny...AMD's tries to answer back to Nvidia almost 10 months later....with Old tech....mantle.....GLIDE......who remembers that....
Score
September 26, 2013 11:36:09 AM

this is funny...AMD's tries to answer back to Nvidia almost 10 months later....with Old tech....mantle.....GLIDE......who remembers that....
Score
September 26, 2013 12:21:58 PM

When will these cards be released? I haven't been able to find any information on it.
Score
September 26, 2013 12:31:24 PM

I wonder how this will affect benchmarks? Like if the tester will have a separate graph for Nvidia & ATI on DirectX and then show another for Mantle? I guess we'll have to see how "open" the API will be and if it will truly catch on like they hope.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 12:35:09 PM

The R9 290 and R9 290X are the only new additions. Everything else is just a re-branding... Wake me up when there is real progress in GPU performance...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 1:08:28 PM

That cooler looks mighty fine - you did a good job with the rest of the developments though :)  keep it up!
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 2:23:59 PM

slomo4sho said:
The R9 290 and R9 290X are the only new additions. Everything else is just a re-branding... Wake me up when there is real progress in GPU performance...

thanks to Nvidia's 700 series, we have a new GPU standard: 2 new high-ends, re-brand everything else... XD

joking aside, this is more or less what Nvidia actually ended up doing, for similar reasons, namely that AMD now needs to curb the competition's performance lead, and 20nm at TSMC isn't ready yet to meet mass demand. It'll be interesting if the two companies decide to off-set the annual GPU update cycle, and release cards ~6-months from each other instead. it could be optimal in the long run for both companies to have 5-6 months of GPU crown and just trade it off.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 2:58:42 PM

I've only heard that the 260x was a re-badged 7790, but that's because it was a newer and different core arch. Is there a report I missed about the other cards being re-badges?
Score
September 26, 2013 3:52:02 PM

8-core optimization?....but I just upgraded to a intel quad core :( 
Score
September 26, 2013 5:00:17 PM

So they're finally coming out with a "GEFORCE EXPERIENCE" app...LOL. Raise your hand if you think they'll get all these new drivers running while still trying to fix the last ones...I don't need any more social crap (ignore it all anyway, have no twitter, facebook, linkedin etc accounts), and I already have an audio card (not onboard).

Whatever, let me know when you get 20nm and a PROVEN track record with drivers again. Until then I'll buy NV's maxwell coming Q1. Free games mean nothing to me when they make ZERO profits which cause crap drivers. I'll take NO GAMES if necessary from NV knowing the cash they make goes INTO DRIVERS!
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2013 5:03:22 PM

somebodyspecial said:
So they're finally coming out with a "GEFORCE EXPERIENCE" app...LOL. Raise your hand if you think they'll get all these new drivers running while still trying to fix the last ones...!

Considering that Raptr is a tertiary application and has not impact on drivers...
Score
September 26, 2013 5:32:31 PM

Really excited to see how this mantle thing plays out.
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 26, 2013 5:37:33 PM

Martell1977 said:
I've only heard that the 260x was a re-badged 7790, but that's because it was a newer and different core arch. Is there a report I missed about the other cards being re-badges?

The architecture isn't even new, it's GCN with some optimizations, but the guy was right in that everything besides the 290 and 290x are re-badges...with optimizations to make them better than their predecessors. So the 280x is supposed to be a 7970 re-badge and so forth.
Score
September 26, 2013 5:39:41 PM

"The R9 290 and R9 290X are the only new additions. Everything else is just a re-branding... Wake me up when there is real progress in GPU performance..."

Actually the 260X is also new
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 26, 2013 5:44:19 PM

parkerm35 said:
"The R9 290 and R9 290X are the only new additions. Everything else is just a re-branding... Wake me up when there is real progress in GPU performance..."

That's true, i keep forgetting about it since it's so far down the ladder, but that's why it gets the new audio technologies while something like the 280x does not :( 
Score
September 26, 2013 6:11:22 PM

Jaxem said:
parkerm35 said:

That's true, i keep forgetting about it since it's so far down the ladder, but that's why it gets the new audio technologies while something like the 280x does not :( 

It is unfortunate that more cards weren't brought out with the newer tech (280X), but On the positive side, you will be able to get a 7970GHz with a better boost algorithm, probably making it faster and more power efficient for $299.
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 26, 2013 7:02:01 PM

parkerm35 said:
Jaxem said:
parkerm35 said:

It is unfortunate that more cards weren't brought out with the newer tech (280X), but On the positive side, you will be able to get a 7970GHz with a better boost algorithm, probably making it faster and more power efficient for $299.

I'm on the fence about whether to get the great deal that 7970's currently are, or wait and pay a bit more for the 280x...decision.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:17:43 PM

Now I just need a Steamroller to go with this
Score
September 27, 2013 7:56:21 AM

chapapa07 said:
8-core optimization?....but I just upgraded to a intel quad core :( 

Don't worry about it. Intel per-core performance is so much stronger that it won't really matter. Not until AMD's per-core performance catches up to Intel's will this become an issue/threat.

Let's wait and see how well the new steamroller CPU's perform and go from there.

Love it when a new line of products roll out. Makes the previous gen dirt-cheap! Recently picked up a 7950 for $169 (Canadian). :p 

Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 27, 2013 9:53:26 PM

slomo4sho said:
parkerm35 said:

It is a rebranded 7790...

http://videocardz.com/46137/amd-radeon-r9-280x-270x-det...

What you linked to is good guessing, but guessing nonetheless. The 260x is getting the new audio features along with the 2 cards that are for sure all new...kind of implying it is not just a re-badge.
Score
a c 155 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2013 5:36:09 AM

Yeah, but the 7790 isn't the same architecture as the other 7xxx cards. Same generation as the R9 cards, but probably the first time a GPU has been branded earlier than the generation it belongs to.

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2013 4:08:59 PM

I would like to see what actually is shipped anyone can announce new stuff the question is when will it be a reality. And knowing AMD the drivers will be an on going pain for months to come and I guess we'll have 6 months for the drivers for crossfire. The 200 series what happened to the 8000 series?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 4:20:29 AM

Kinda looks like they are trying to push out steam with the gaming client..... No sir I don't like it.
Score
October 4, 2013 4:52:30 PM

this is interesting , nice move AMD to have sold their tech to the console market and then bringing something more powerful when the consoles launches .. I hope for them theirs a real gain with their Mantle API .. I wonder if company will like it and develop more games with it .. it's a sad news for Nvidia , let's see what comes out of this , I never bought back an AMD card since my ATI 1800xl because their drivers sucks and bloats your PC for no reasons . Will mantle be AMD game changer .. let the FIGHT BEGIN and lowers the price for the GTX 770 series NVIDIA their way overpriced right now
Score
October 5, 2013 6:00:46 AM

slomo4sho said:
somebodyspecial said:
So they're finally coming out with a "GEFORCE EXPERIENCE" app...LOL. Raise your hand if you think they'll get all these new drivers running while still trying to fix the last ones...!

Considering that Raptr is a tertiary application and has not impact on drivers...

My driver statement has only to do with the cards, not he app. I'm saying they're releasing a new gen (which requires new drivers) before they even get the last gen fixed. The article here is also about the cards, which is what my driver comment is about.

So to recap: they're finally getting something NV had R&D for ages ago (tertiary app or not it is costing amd to get it made)
They're releasing a new gen of cards requiring more R&D to get functioning properly (drivers), while not having the old ones working properly as designed, advertised, or so sold...Make more sense now? If it wasn't for the consoles money they wasted, I think we wouldn't be having this conversation as they would have had the money to R&D the drivers right the first time, and should have had geforce experience app years ago. On top of that, they might have better cpu's.
Score
!