Your question
Closed

Bill Gates Says Ctrl+Alt+Delete is IBM's Fault

Tags:
  • Windows 8
  • Microsoft
Last response: in News comments
September 26, 2013 12:14:18 PM

There were a number of functions attached to ctrl + alt. How would adding an extra key simplify the user experience without endangering your data (its easy to hit a single button by mistake but a combo is much harder to accidentally push)? Not sure of the point to this story, Bill Gates doesn't like it... who cares. And Ctrl+Alt+Delete was for rebooting the machine not specifically for starting a program unless it had its own boot environment.
Score
September 26, 2013 12:28:07 PM

Windows 8 couldn't sale much, so he blames IBM for that...
Score
September 26, 2013 12:41:47 PM

How about writing less buggy software and making the combination useless?
Score
September 26, 2013 12:42:00 PM

they still could have changed it to a single button years ago. Just have support for both so that old keyboards can do ctrl+alt+del and the newer ones would do button 'x'
Score
September 26, 2013 12:42:37 PM

I think Ctrl+Alt+Delete is a great mistake. On windows 98, if you do it twice, it reboots the computer. How many times did win 98 froze and the only thing that worked was "Ctrl+Alt+Delete"

Same thing with xp, vista, 7 and 8. If your trouble shooting, removing viruses. Most of the time it's a great tool!
Score
September 26, 2013 12:54:35 PM

That combination is used by me more than a hundred times.. More likely I've hit those 3 keys thousands or even a million times. It does what it was intended to do. Get me out of pickles with my PC.
Score
September 26, 2013 1:02:52 PM

The suggestion that Ctrl-Alt-Del could have been replaced with a single key is ignorant of its function. I don't care who is saying it!
Score
September 26, 2013 1:15:55 PM

It's awesome what people learn in life.
Score
September 26, 2013 1:23:41 PM

"Bill Gates left Microsoft Gates stepped down from his position as CEO of Microsoft"

Ummm what?
Score
September 26, 2013 1:47:11 PM

Meh, I'm with whoever designed the IBM keyboard. Ctrl-alt-delete as one button would be worse than the accidental clicks of the sleep mode buttons some keyboards have. Huge pain in the arse and then you're trying to figure out what the heck happened as your screen suddenly goes blank.
Score
September 26, 2013 1:47:30 PM

It may have been a bigger mistake for Microsoft to get the single key function. At least it takes a conscious effort to hit Contl-Alt-Del instead of fat-fingering a single button. Oops! Grrrr... Damn!
Score
September 26, 2013 1:54:10 PM

He also said that "640 KB of RAM is more than you will ever need" was IBM's fault.
Score
September 26, 2013 2:01:43 PM

Actually Newbie, he went on record and claimed he never said that. Maybe true, maybe not... Who knows?
Score
September 26, 2013 2:03:33 PM

I think making it a single button would be fine, depending on where you put it. All it does ctrl+alt+del does is open up Task Manager (older OS iterations potentially restart your PC). It doesn't automatically change anything, and all you would need to prevent such accidents is what is common now anyway, which is a prompt asking if you're sure about doing whatever it is you're doing. Putting a single button up by the F keys would keep it out of the way - how likely is anyone to accidentally press an F key? But either way, it's not really a big deal.
Score
September 26, 2013 2:09:31 PM

Single key to replace Contl-Alt-Del would cause more problem. In DOS era, the combination would instantly warm reboot the computer. Accidentally pressing the single key would mean someone would lost the unsaved work, or even worse, if the computer reboots while writing on the disk, it would corrupt the file and lost the whole thing.
Score
September 26, 2013 2:17:34 PM

Who is responsible for making Alt + F4 enlarge your screen?
Score
September 26, 2013 2:19:42 PM

"He also said that "640 KB of RAM is more than you will ever need" was IBM's fault."

I think that could be blamed on Intel, not IBM, with its segmented memory architecture x86 chips (640K low memory, 384K high memory in the first MB).

Still wonder what the computing world would be like had IBM chosen the 68000 for its PC like the engineers originally wanted. Oh well.
Score
September 26, 2013 3:20:19 PM

Ctrl+Alt+Del on a single key...too easy to hit it by mistake imo.
Score
September 26, 2013 3:36:19 PM

Wait a moment... is he saying that he wanted a single button to do what Ctrl+Alt+Del did back in the age of DOS and up? Ok, how many people here accidentally hit the "Windows" key while in the middle of something and screamed out loud in profanity? How many developers and apps made an option to shut off the "Windows" key to protect us from the critical moments where an accidental Shift, Ctr, or Alt, was mistyped by one key? I like my Ctrl+Alt+Del dammit!
Score
a b * Windows 8
September 26, 2013 3:39:45 PM

IBM should be happy to take the blame for that, just imagine all the people screwing up their computers by mistake if it was a single keystroke!
Score
September 26, 2013 3:47:13 PM

I'm fine with ctrl+alt+del; I don't even mind doing it with one hand, so my pizza hand doesn't get grease on the keyboard.
Score
September 26, 2013 3:57:51 PM

Out of all the things Microsoft could've owned up to regarding mistakes with Windows, they pick something that wasn't even a mistake at all, and then blame it on someone else?

o_O
Score
September 26, 2013 4:38:19 PM

Heh a single button would have been absolute stupidity. The windows keys are already bad enough when you accidentaly hit them and it boots you out of the application youw ere in to pull windows up. I have physically ripped the windows keys, and sleep keys, etc off of keyboards before because those one touch buttons do more harm than good.

A reboot function should require more effort then a single key press. Ctrl+alt+delete is pretty much impossible to accidentally hit, but its very easy to do. Whats the problem...i think its perfect.
Score
September 26, 2013 4:42:20 PM

I'm kinda glad it's not a single button. CTRL+ALT+DEL has meaning to some of us. Aside from reset or flipping the switch on the PSU it's the closest thing to being able to give a PC "the finger". When I CTRL+ALT+DEL I mean it. A single button would just ruin the experience.
Score
September 26, 2013 6:32:48 PM

1 finger US salute
2 fingers UK salute
3 fingers MS salute

How weird the world would seem if it wasn't for the 3 finger salute.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:17:12 PM

Back in the mid 80's My first computer was an Atari 800XL which did have a reset button on the left side of the keyboard. I accidently hit that button a over a dozen times before I finally taped some sheet metal over it. Worst design flaw ever.
Score
September 26, 2013 7:30:55 PM

I prefer multiple separate key strokes. It does the job and is very unlikely to be activated by accident.
Score
September 26, 2013 9:21:13 PM

CTRL-ALT-DEL for PC's is waaay better than the rediculous CTRL-ALT/COMMAND-OPEN_APPLE-ALT//whatever-the-hell black magic combination that my Apple computers have used. Even today on my macbook I rarely get the combo right the first time.
Score
September 26, 2013 9:45:58 PM

" GoldenI Who is responsible for making Alt + F4 enlarge your screen?"
I dough anyone on a tech forum is going to fall for this. Because every one knows it F + 13.
Score
September 27, 2013 12:45:23 AM

One button? One button that can be pressed by accident? Eeek!!!
Score
September 27, 2013 1:42:18 AM

For me Ctrl-Alt-Del and BSOD are regular partners.
Score
September 27, 2013 2:06:40 AM

Having that on one button would be like the windows start button (removed by default by gamers).
I hate it when i accidentaly press the windows key in a PC that aint mine, my keyboards have it blocked by default.
Score
September 27, 2013 3:55:20 AM

In the other new - Tim Cook says Bill Gates was a fault.
Score
September 27, 2013 7:37:45 AM

I like ctrl atl delete - it prevents ppl that dont know about to computers from going in there.
Score
September 27, 2013 9:12:49 AM

If he ever wanted that , why didn't he do it on MS's ow keyboard's atleast ?
Just like the way you can put multimedia key , they could have putted a customisable key for the Ctrl+Alt+Delete combo , even though it was dumb for us , it would have satisfied him atleast.
Score
September 29, 2013 11:17:21 AM

I'm in full agreement with a 3-key sequence for task manager. A single button to open a monitoring process that is sort of a memory hog and will absolutely supersede any other application is best left to combinations to prevent accidental launching. As a gamer, especially. I'm sure we've all had our share of 'Windows Key' incidents. I can only imagine they would have ended up placing it close to the home keys or space bar, thus adding another 'oh s***' button.
Score
September 29, 2013 1:02:46 PM

WOW, I always though Bill got everything his way? Just ask Gary Kildall...
Score
September 29, 2013 10:26:04 PM

i often use ctr+alt+del to open task manager that was in win98. in winxp i used ctr+shit+esc. its much easier to do in single hand.
Score
September 29, 2013 10:26:51 PM

i often use ctr+alt+del to open task manager that was in win98. in winxp and later ver of windows i used ctr+shit+esc. its much easier to do in single hand.
Score
September 29, 2013 10:28:56 PM

i often use ctr+alt+del to open task manager that was in win98. in winxp and later ver of windows i used ctr+shit+esc. its much easier to do in single hand.
Score
September 30, 2013 4:28:06 AM

Ctrl+Alt+Del = the key should be "ADL" or "CAD"
ADL=Arithmetic Digital Layout respond to all booting process may in pre or post booting function,
CAD= Computing Array Digit function to collaborate the same key function to Ctrl+Alt+Del (CAD).
Abeer Hazra..ITE
Score
September 30, 2013 1:39:19 PM

Ironically, Apple had a single button reset (labeled RESET) on the Apple II. People pressed it by mistake often enough that users often did things like remove the key-cap to prevent accidental presses. Later on, Apple put a heavier spring under the key to force you to press hard. On the IIe and //c, they forced you to type Ctrl-Reset, in order to eliminate the problem. (And to reboot, it was a 3-key sequence - OpenApple-Ctrl-Reset).

Interestingly, many versions of Mac OS supported CMD-CTRL-Power as a quick-reboot sequence as well.

In the Sun workstation world, the critical keystroke (to pull up the system-monitor shell) was not just the "stop" key, but was STOP-A - another 2-key sequence.

Gates may have wanted a single-key reset button, but other manufacturers all learned that this was a bad idea and migrated to 2- and 3-key sequences.

Ironically, Microsoft chose to stick with Ctrl-Alt-Del on Windows XP and later, to bring up the emergency features (logout, kill processes, change password, etc.) even though at that point in time, there was actually a key dedicated to that purpose - Alt-SysRq. A key which almost nobody used for anything (and has been removed from many modern keyboards.)
Score
September 30, 2013 7:53:25 PM

Kind of a strange article, seemingly trying to reinforce the mistaken belief that Gates invented the PC. Ctrl+Alt+Del has always worked regardless of any OS installed to reboot a machine, it has nothing specifically to do with DOS or Microsoft other than the fact that versions of Windows also use that key binding.

As for the "single button" solution, I also find that a strange comment. Why would Gates have felt he could have gone to IBM and said "Oh by the way, please can you add another key, we want to bind it to something special", his initial involvement was just to supply DOS (and BASIC) nothing more. The SysRq button existed, if he'd asked for a special OS key they'd have most likely told him to use that.
Score
September 30, 2013 8:49:54 PM

me2olive said:
The SysRq button existed, if he'd asked for a special OS key they'd have most likely told him to use that.
Not quite. SysRq was added on the PC/AT. The original PC keyboard didn't have it.

Score
October 1, 2013 7:25:56 AM

shamino said:
Not quite. SysRq was added on the PC/AT. The original PC keyboard didn't have it.

True, I'd forgotten the old XT keyboard. That actually makes Gates' comment even stranger. They added a key that was arguably just what he claims he wanted, yet M$ never used it as a Ctrl+Alt+Del substitute.
Score
October 1, 2013 10:01:33 AM

Oh yeah, my cats would just LOVE to have a single button to walk on and crap my computer when I'm up and away from it. I come back to screen captures, computer in sleep mode, not to mention added characters. Started opening a Notepad full page when I leave it unattended now. I've already had to pull the POWER button off my keyboard! Not a single cat has figured out how to do CTRL-ALT-DEL, yet. Thank you IBM!!!
Score
October 2, 2013 12:31:50 AM

There were already Unix systems that ran for years and could be updated on the fly without rebooting the kernel. The need to reboot the computer at all was Bill's mistake and IBM;s too. They are all guilty. IBM are just as guilty because they locked the PC to BIOS ROM instead of RAM (CP/M had software BIOS) to lock in the consumer to hardware upgrade cycles. Bill was not interested in changing DOS either because he wanted to lock in his DOS applications market. Besides microsoft had no idea how to develop DOS, witness the belated shambles of DOS 4. And let's not forget that IBM chose the segmented memory 8086 chip in the first place which made memory growth unmanageble, and the lack of talent at microsoft that had no idea how to write a memory manager to keep viruses out, until intel eventually produced the 80286 protected mode chip that opened the way for OS/2 which microsoft purloined to become windows, re-boots and all. There is mud everywhere.
Score
October 3, 2013 9:02:47 AM

AFAIR this dates back to DOS 1.0 which was essentially non-multitasking. So if something was in a loop you were stuck. The IBM keyboard was hard wired so that CAD sent an non-maskable interrupt (on line 7 was it?). When MS developed windows they used the existing facility. Granted a single key could have done this, but the facility was useful primarily for software developers since you could zap the interrupt address to point to your own 'debug' code.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!