Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm building a PC for the first time. Here are my specs:

i7-4770k CPU
H100i CPU cooler
800W PSU
ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard

Whenever i start the PC it says "CPU fan error" on the initial black screen. But everything seems to be in the right place. The fans are spinning and i followed the user's manual when installing.

Any ideas?

ohmygosuness

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Yea the square thing that's attached to the 2 tubes is mounted on top of the CPU and both fan's power is connected to it. And there's a USB plug connecting from the cooler to the motherboard.

I have a question, this may sound dumb but, since it said it's a "liquid cooling" system am i suppose to fill it up with some sort of liquid before installing it? could this be the problem? because it doesn't say anything about that in the user manuals. Unless it already has liquid inside?

The H100i is a sealed unit - nothing to fill.

You should have another set of wires from the pump module which connect to the CPU fan header on the MB. They don't run the fans it's just for monitoring and control circuits.

Do you have this hooked up?

Yogi

ohmygosuness

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

This is what I have connected:
A Y shaped cord which connects the 2 fan cord to the CPU.

A USB that connects the square that mounts on the CPU to the mobo.

Lastly, another 3 way cord which connected the CPU and a little piece next to the CPU to the power.

When i turn on the mobo, the CPU LED light turns on and the fan turns on. So i assume all is plugged in correctly since power is going through everything.

Here are the Corsair instructions: http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler/

Quote: " The cooling unit itself has two cables to plug in, a SATA power connector, and a pump sensor cable. The SATA power connector should be connected directly to an available SATA power cable from your PSU, and the 3 pin (with only a single sensor wire) fan connector should be plugged into your CPU fan header on the motherboard. The sensor cable relays pump RPM information to both the BIOS and to the Corsair Link V2 software, and lets your motherboard know that you have a CPU cooler installed."
End Quote

So, do you have the 3 pin plug with a single wire plugged into your MB CPU fan header?

Yogi

ohmygosuness

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Okay I'm not sure about the names of the cables at the moment. I'll check on it when i get home. But everything that came in the box was plugged in. I took a picture of it but I had trouble uploading it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably OK if the temps are good. The MB/BIOS may be confused with no PWM fan feedback and maybe the Corsair unit is not returning the correct value for the BIOS to accept. What FAN header do you have it plugged into?

But if you have that 3 pin one wire plug put into a chassis fan header, then the MB thinks that there is NO CPU FAN!! Check this!!

Yogi

ohmygosuness

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Okay I'll get back to you when I get home in about 1 hour. Thanks.

ohmygosuness

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
okay i found the temperature which is at 41 degrees C and 104 F. is that good? how much higher can it go up until it becomes dangerous?

Glad to see that you got the problem sorted out!

With a Haswell CPU, temps should be kept below 90*C. Anything over 90*C. is going to be dangerous to your CPU's health. CPU will automatically shut down at 105*C. to protect itself.

Don't forget to close out the thread and select a "Best Answer".

Good luck!

Yogi