Sign in with
Your question

Please help my bar!!

Tags:
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2013 1:36:17 PM

alright i've been trying to brainstorm a solution to this problem i'm having all day and finally the common sense came up to just ask you fine people on TH since most of the tech-solutions i find online are from this site lol..

i have a bar in my basement and my vision is to have 3 TV's (one is a 50" samsung, the other two are 32" samsungs) that can display the same image simultaneously (notably sports games) .. i want all screens to display in 1080p and have no lag.. I've got a computer already that i believe can handle the task.. its running with a i7 4770k and a GeForce GTX660 (i figure these are the only two specs that matter for this task)

i know and dont care that DVI doesn't transmit sound because i have a great sound system that fills the room.. all i want is for the three to get GREAT picture at the same time.. my idea is to buy two 50+ ft. cables and run them through the walls and into the two 32"s while the 50" is close to the computer.. i have a friend that is great with all the wiring and mounting so that also isn't a problem..

the simple question is WILL THIS IDEA WORK, i've read countless threads that contradict each other where people say that it is possible but the quality of picture is going to be bad, some others say it's just not possible at all and others say that it is.. i don't want to do this if the quality isn't going to be good, i want each screen to display in crisp 1080p.. thanks!

More about : bar

September 26, 2013 2:23:22 PM

A much simpler (and probably, cheaper) solution would be to get an HDMI splitter (here is one at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/portable-Powered-Splitter-1080P-S...).

Quality Long-run cables are not cheap, and you would need three of them, plus a complex PC setup. With a splitter, you can run everything off your receiver, and have spare PC video port for local monitor.
September 26, 2013 3:00:52 PM

i should've specified this previously but i'm not using anything like a cable box or whatever to get my video from.. i buy all my sports packages straight forward online (nfl sunday ticket, mlb extra innings, nba league pass, etc.) and use them on my computer.. it's much cheaper this way and you don't have to pay for crappy bundles or packages from cable companies.. so with that being said, i need my video to come from somewhere, so i can't really just take the computer out of the equation..

that being said, i dont think a splitter really helps my situation, unless im just not understand you, and in that case please elaborate a little more because im lost :( 
September 26, 2013 4:09:37 PM

A Splitter works like this: Source signal (cable box, PC, receiver, tablet - you name it) comes through HDMI cable into "IN" port, and several identical HDMI outputs (TVs, monitors, projectors) are connected to "OUT" ports, all of them displaying same signal.

BTW - I am not sure you're legally allowed to public viewing of what are getting on your PC (this content is usually "for personal use only"). Same applies for signal you would get from e.g. Comcast.
September 26, 2013 4:15:16 PM

in regards to the splitter, the tv's are in 3 completely different areas of the room, that's the whole point of it is so that people in different areas can all enjoy..

and in no way shape or form is what i am trying to do illegal.. that's like saying that having a super bowl party is a crime.. i'm not charging anyone to come to my house and enjoy the game and some beers.. i just want more than one TV displaying the same thing.. i get the feeling you dont understand what i'm saying.. let me try and add a picture
September 26, 2013 6:24:57 PM

Even with three separate TVs, using a splitter (a device which does not need configuring) will make your life MUCH easier. The other option is to use a video card with at least three outputs, or two video cards - and I am not sure the card you have already has three independent outputs. Then you have to configure these outputs to show same picture, and that's not always possible when watching full-screen video.

As for legal / illegal - I am not a cop, or a lawyer, and I am not trying to scare you, but to warn you. In my area, bars need special packages from cable/sat operators, and they get sued when they don't. And this is completely different from you having a bunch of friends around your TV in the living room sharing a six-pack and pizza.
September 26, 2013 8:50:37 PM

alright, i think i'm picking up what you're putting down a little bit better now.. after checking it the gtx 660 does have enough out ports.. however a new worry has popped up now out of the blue.. apparently stuff like nba league pass (when used directly on the computer) doesn't translate very well when being streamed to another TV.. jesus if it's not one thing it's the next.. on a positive note though, a friend gave me this nifty tool to try out.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iogear-wireless-3d-a-v-tran...

apparently it didn't work for him and it was outside of his return window, but it seems to be working for me no problem.. i think that the item just has difficulty if there are items obstructing the signal, or if you are transmitting signal through walls or ceilings.. which is silly because it advertises itself as being able to cover your whole home but really the only way to get 1080p consistently is to have a SHORT and CLEAR path in between the base and receiver, which i managed to do by mounting the receiver on the wall (it actually comes with a mounting feature that is pretty neat) ..

so that's one TV out of the way, what I'm thinking of doing now is connecting my Macbook Pro to the 50" and then using Airplay to link that picture with the second 32" using my 3rd gen Apple TV.. if everything works out the way it is in my head then I'll be all set and won't need any wiring done at all! crossing my fingers...
September 26, 2013 8:52:57 PM

the only question at this point now is can the Macbook handle displaying 1080p on my 50" tv and sending the airplay signal to the Apple TV.. Macbooks aren't slouches in the tech department, but they definitely don't have cutting edge graphics hardware...
!