First time builder; need rig for Game Design

Jariedk

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hey Everyone!
I've been searching the forums for a while and you all seem very reliable, so I'm hoping you can help me and anyone who comes after me with this query;
I'm in need of a rig designed for 3D Modeling and Game Design. I would like it to be on the quiet side.
Here are the details:
- I have no preference on hardware.
- $1500 budget
- I already have the peripherals.(monitor, mouse, keyboard)
-Monitor: Vizio 26" 1080p
- plan to purchase in the next few weeks.
- I currently work off of an ASUS laptop w/ 6gb RAM and an i5 intel core(help please lol)

WWIIAMAN

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
CPU: i7 3770k (This is a no brainer, it's an amazing CPU and Microcenter sells them for $250 each)
Motherboard: P8Z77-V (This is a little more up to you, the P8 is great and comes with built in wifi $180(If you want better over clocking, go with a Z77 Sabertooth $230)
-Update you can save about $60 on your motherboard by getting a ASrock Extreme 4. However you need wireless LAN, you'll have to buy a separate WiFi card. Those will cost about $20-$40
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo (This is pretty much the best air cooler you can find, and it's only $35. If you want better over clocking go with a H80i, but it's water and some people are uncomfortable with water in their rig (90$))
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 16Gb Dual Channel Kit (Good solid memory. 1600Mhz is fine and 16Gb is plenty enough. They come in different colors so pick one that matches your system. $190)
Case: NZXT Phantom (1. This case looks badass. 2. Air flow is great 3. It can handle nearly any expansion you put in it 4. It's only $120 5. Did I mention it looks badass.)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4tb (Cheap, reliable and huge. It can fit all of your design files for only about $170)
SSD: Samsung 840 120Gb (Relatively small but reliable and cheep ($100)
PSU: Corsair HX850 (A fantastic semi-modular PSU. 850W is WAY more than enough for what we're building. This will set you back about $150. You could probably get away with a TX650W for $80 aswell.
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW (You really don't need a drive nowadays but if you want one, here's one for $20)
Fans: NZXT 1x200mm LED (You also don't need this because your case comes with fans but if you want to fill up more slots, this will set you back $20)
GPU:Gigabyte GV-R795 HD 7950 (B-e-a-utiful card. It's on sale on newegg for $200. It can kick some serious butt. Even at stock speeds it can rival a GTX 770, and for half the price. If you're working in Adobe alot however, I would recommend the ASUS GTX 760. It's not as good and it's $50 more expensive but it will really rock in After Effects or Photoshop. If you REALLY want to rock though, you can get a GTX TITAN for a whopping $1000. I wouldn't recommend a TITAN to gamers because the GTX 690 is better for gaming but the TITAN is the best commercial card in the world for 3D modeling and rendering, but that's a serious investment and I wouldn't put it in this build)

Well there you go. Final price tag of $1475 USD. I hope you found this helpful, and happy building.

WWIIAMAN

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Also, remember when searching for your parts, that there are products who's names look very similar, such as the P8Z77V LX vs P8Z77 LV vs P8Z77 V vs P8Z77 Pro etc.