Desktop is stuck in sleep mode. Cannot cold reboot. Help please!

muckaduc

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
So here’s my problem:

This morning my Alienware X51 desktop computer was working perfectly fine. I put it in sleep mode when I left for class. When I came back an hour and a half later the computer will not wake up. This is what will happen:
I press the power button
The LEDs light up and the fans turn on
An notification on my monitor states that I should check my cables because there is no signal connection
About thirty seconds later my computer goes back to sleep
I cannot perform a cold reboot. If I press the power button at all (whether for an instant or holding it down) the computer simply falls asleep again. I have also pulled the plug entirely. When I give the computer power again it simply repeats the above process.
I have removed the CMOS battery and put it back in (twice) and still no luck.

I am out of ideas.

Please help.

Thanks.

muckaduc

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Okay, so apparently 3rd time is the charm. The computer boots up but it is now only showing two screens which I don't know what to do with. I've uploaded the images to imageshack:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/9qlu.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/mqql.jpg/

It seems that these screens will only appear if my graphics card is removed.

iNova, thank you but a cold reboot will not work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The 2nd screen is your BIOS setup. What you would see if you tapped the DEL key during a normal boot. Can you follw the instructions that the 1st screen is telling you? Are you running Win8 or Win7? That looks like a Win8 screen.

muckaduc

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Ah, okay. I'm running Win8. I can't, yet. I made the mistake of not creating a restore DVD. I have ordered one from Microsoft. If the restore DVD doesn't work I suppose the next step would be to replace the hard drive?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Only if you have a way of installing Windows on it.

muckaduc

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

I do. Thanks for the assist clutchc!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck. If the drive is still under factory warranty, you can contact the manufacturer and do an RMA for repair/replace. I recently did that with my 2TB Hitachi I'm using in the rig in my sig. They sent me a new one slightly better/bigger than the 1.5TB one that failed.

TRENDING THREADS