Any interest in a gaming PC (ATX) "desk-TOP" case? Would appreciate feedback!

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
So about over a year ago, I integrated a PC case into my computer desk as seen here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/xhb7z/here_is_my_gaming_rig_a_custom_watercooled_pc/

Now since then I have gotten many inquires of doing this custom mod for people, and till recently I came across the crowdfunded M1 case, and it got me thinking about making a case that sits on a desk, that functions similar to the pc/desk mod I did?

The Purpose:
To introduce a new style of case on the market that captures the beauty of whats inside the case without needing to do extensive modding.

I find it kind of pointless to spend so much on expensive tubing, sleeving, fancy lights, fans and then stowing it away in a case with a fairly with a small window. If you look at peoples setup around the web, many people keep their pc case on their desk, with the aim to "show off" their PC case...but those cases are the norm nowadays, and I don't think they grasp the beauty of the case as the prototype I am about to propose.

The Idea:
So after a year of using the initial PC case/desk I made, I discovered many of the issues I wish I could fix.

With that in mind, it came to me that it was very possible to actually construct a stand-alone case with a large glass/plexi screen that could be used by anyone as easily as buying their own case.

The Prototype design:
Here are the following prototype designs for the "pc on a desk" case (credits to 3D design go out to David G.):

The model has been redesigned to support a full ATX motherboard as well as a microATX:

Note: This is still a work in progress so not all the details are there yet! (and may be a few problems here and there)

NumSyb4h.jpg

ZCjqJO0h.jpg

Jo6kppSh.jpg

tCd0txoh.jpg

GaYnJNYh.jpg

acrtEaJh.jpg

rRoCopPh.jpg

1IgvizWh.jpg

9XelG7t.jpg

UYwjGpg.jpg

blsEdNC.jpg

Explanation of Model:

• ■So the model has a plexiglass screen along the entire front, allowing all the inside/components to be seen (setting up for some very cool watercooling related setups). We want the case to ultimately to be made of all aluminium (need to consider price).

■The case supports ATX motherboards as well as micro ATX

■The case is setup to be watercooling friendly and should have more than enough room for a radiator, reservoir (various sizes) and pump all WITHIN the case.

■Space for a slim optical drive.

■Modular or non-modular full ATX PSU

■TOP and BOTTOM compartments to hide cables, and easily get them where they need to go. This is where all the LED and various lighting stuff can be done too.

■ There is also space next to the PSU to hide cables for those of you that don't use a modular PSU (holes for where to feed wires are not designed yet).

We need your feedback:

• ■So we really are looking for your guys feedback:

■What do you guys think of a case like this? Would you buy one?

■How much would you be willing to spend a case like this?

■What improvements or features would you like to see implemented into the case?

We ultimately want to kickstart this case if there is a large enough interest, so please let us know...I would love to see some innovation to the case market and bring a new style of case to PC enthusiasts.

would i be interested in one? no.

what do i find wrong with the idea?

-its wide.. making it hard to fit on any but the largest or deepest desks.
-less than adequate cooling design compared to tower cases
-odd placement of cd rom drive
-odd arrangement may require extended psu cables.

its an interesting concept but its just not as practical as tower cases. i would expect a rather limited market and also some pretty dicey competition from things like mountain mod and then the htpc case market as well.

TRENDING THREADS