Sign in with
Your question

Haswell i3 4130 vs i5 4670k

Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2013 5:30:03 PM

I'm not sure about these. I know that you can overclock the i5, but I don't know about the i3. Aslo, is the $100 price difference worth getting the i3? I am looking to use my build mainly for building and maybe some editing. Also, I will be doing school work on it. Anyone know anything? If there is a better i3 or i5, please let me know! Thank You so much!!!

More about : haswell 4130 4670k

a b K Overclocking
a c 471 à CPUs
September 26, 2013 5:52:24 PM

Only the "k" model CPUs can be overclocked, and they only exists for the i5 and i7 CPUs.

You stated your PC is mainly for "building", so what are you building?

If you can afford a quad core Intel CPU, then it is best to go with an i5 CPU. Video editing software can make use of quad core CPUs. There is no better Haswell core i5 CPU than the i5-4670k. There are less expensive core i5 CPUs that do not allow you to overclock though.
September 26, 2013 7:13:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
Only the "k" model CPUs can be overclocked, and they only exists for the i5 and i7 CPUs.

If you can afford a quad core Intel CPU, then it is best to go with an i5 CPU. Video editing software can make use of quad core CPUs. There is no better Haswell core i5 CPU than the i5-4670k. There are less expensive core i5 CPUs that do not allow you to overclock though.

Sorry, I meant gaming not building! :/ 
Thanks for the answer though, this really helped!!!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2013 8:26:23 AM

Look into the i5-4570. It can't be overclocked, but it's ~$40 less than the 4670k and nearly as fast. In terms of gaming, you wouldn't notice the difference between the two.

I have no plans to overclock which is why I chose the 4570 for my gaming rig. Very happy with it. :) 
January 1, 2014 6:21:27 PM

Jannis said:
jaguarskx said:

Sorry, I meant gaming not building! :/ 
Thanks for the answer though, this really helped!!!

January 1, 2014 6:24:12 PM

New Hasswell CPU I3 4130 can overclock intel has brought it back to 4gen cpu just like first gen I3 cpu could
overclock.so just because it dont have a k dont mean it cant overclock so agin the Hasswell CPU I3 4130 can overclock.
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2014 6:26:02 PM

I say going up to the i5 is worth it. It seems that the i3 is just on the path to running out of resources in upcoming games.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2014 6:41:00 PM

The i5 is DEFINITELY worth the 100$ more, however if I were you I would go with the 4670 not the 4670k because you don't seem to want to be overclocking, but I could be wrong.
January 23, 2014 7:11:31 PM

jaguarskx said:

.......Not true that only k cpu overclock intel has brought back I3 cpu overclocking and also lots of none k cpu can overclock you are giving very bad info dude.

!