Vishera out-of-box compatibility

sloterhouse5

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I understand that this question has been asked in various ways already but...is there any way to tell if a mobo will be compatible with a Vishera CPU without a need to update BIOS first? I recently had a very unpleasant experience with a new ASUS that would not POST with either Vishera or Zambezi and I don't have an older CPU to facilitate a BIOS update. Would UEFI be preferable?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The MB manufacturer's website for the board should specify CPU compatibility and which BIOS version is needed. The Visheras have been out long enough now that I wouldn't worry if you are buying from a reputable supplier like Newegg, Tiger, or Amazon. They have huge turnovers, so stock never sits around long.

I can't imagine a board not recognizing a Zambizi if it had the original AM3+ socket even.

sloterhouse5

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks, clutchc. That is why I am concerned. I ordered ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS and AMD FX-8320 Vishera from NewEgg. The system would not POST at all. No error beeps, no power to the keyboard, no display, nothing but the onboard power LED. I RMA'd the motherboard with the same results. I RMA'd the CPU with the same results. I replaced with a AMD FX-4130 Zambezi with the same results. I spent endless hours with ASUS support who finally told me that the mobo was not compatible with FX-series. Both ASUS and NewEgg websites say otherwise. I don't want to go through that again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Somebody was feeding you a line of bull. Even on a board where the BIOS is to old to recognize the processor, you will still get a boot screen with a message displaying so. Failure to even POST is a different issue.

sloterhouse5

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

How sure are you that this is completely true? I have always assumed the same but recent experience indicates otherwise. If true, what else could have been my issue and how will I avoid it with my next order? I'm itching to finish my build. ;)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can only go from my own experience. There's a lot of folks building AMD rigs out there. And very few with that complaint. Most have no issues. Obviously I can't guarantee it won't happen, but the chances are slim unless you get an old board that has been "modified" to fit an AM3+ socket on it. (Like your M5A78L-M LX PLUS) Look for a board with a 9-series chip set for extra assurance.