When should I install the Sound Card?

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Hello,

So I am building a new PC from scratch (Motherboard is Asus Sabertooth Z87, no other parts are relevant to my question), and am looking to get the Asus Xonar DX sound card for it.

I just wanted to ask, when do I actually connect the sound card? Should I have it in before first boot and Windows installation, or wait until Windows is completely set up before connecting it?

I've heard about sound cards causing boot problems, so I'm not too sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Can try it either way, the Xonar DX has been around for awhile so chances are good, Win will have a working driver, then once Win is installed, go to your mobo site and get all the latest drivers and BIOS for your mobo and update to them, chances are good the CD/DVD that came with the mobo has outdated drivers

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

So do I still need to install the motherboard's Audio drivers? or just the ones for the sound card?

You can install it when you build your computer.

You do not need to install the on-board drivers unless you intend to use the on-board audio output too.

There are Windows 7 and 8 drivers available via the Asus Support Page(don't use the CD).
https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DX/#support_Download

I've never seen an issue with dual-boot with a sound card, but that does mean it hasn't happened. You can install the sound card after everything else is done, but I say it's better to install it first.

I don't think you even really need that sound card, on board is a lot better than it used to be, and your audio is only good as it's weakest link. You wouldn't be likely to notice the difference on on-board vs the sound card(at least in that price range). If you don't hear a difference, you can return it if you decide so.