What is the absolute best motherboard for the Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7970 GHZ OC 6GB DDR5 Card?

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Mainly motherboards normally dont matter, as long as it is a solid motherboard, what socket type do you have intel or amd? and what cpu do you have can't suggest any motherboard without those things in mind.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
There is no best mobo for a GPU, though this is a PCI-E 3 card, and basically INtel mobos support PCI-E 3, while AMD mobos as a rule don't (sort of ironic as it's a AMD chipset card ;) ), so look to Intel, then to a good CPU to feed it, like the 4670K which runs on socket 1150, then look at the 1150 mobos...I'd suggest the Asus Maximus Hero, (that's wht I decided on for my Haswell build, and it's run everything I've thrown at it, including a few different 7970s

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Well the only thing i'd be concerned about in your suggestion is the cpu, can't the i7 equivalent of that do as well? I'm aiming for 6-cores, gimme your best advice. =)

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

If you are aiming for anything higher then 4 cores (quad-core) my best suggestion for you would be to go with an AMD, i7's are technically not a true 6-core processor, they are a quad 2 core, meaning that they are 2 quad cores (4 for graphics and the other 4 processing). Now the AMD's while they don't offer integrated graphics and are forced to be used with a graphics card, they offer a true 6 or 8 core, since there is no integrated graphic support.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Intel has tru 6 and 8 core CPUs in the 2011 socket CPU line, though on the expensice side, the i7 quad cores utilize hyper threading, and as far as pure performance and power the i7 quads run away from AMDs best CPUs....the new 8 core 9590 from AMD (at $700) get beat at most everything by a stock (no OC) 4770K

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Link? =P

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

I wasn't saying the AMD processors would out perform a Intel, cause they will not, i know this, however if you are utilizing heavy multi-core technology running applications, (5-8 cores) the AMD would be a better way to go, however, even for gaming most games (at most, and very rarely) will only utilize 4 cores, in which the hyper-treading technology would come into play from Intel, and smoke an AMD. Point is AMD processors are useless unless the following conditions are meant:

1. You are using programs that utilize 5-8 cores and can't run it without the extra cores (even then this reason is still pushing it, since the i7 will outperform the new AMD processor)

2. You are doing heavy video editing, streaming, or music editing. AMD will usually be faster on an encoding side of things vs. Intel.

3. You want to go the cheap way and get an AMD cause you can't afford an Intel (budget computer)

***Those are the only 3 basic conditions that you would want an AMD processor over an Intel. Otherwise Intel would waste the AMD processors since the Intel's utilize the hyper-threading technology.

Also you are comparing apples to oranges, since the i7 is a quad core with hyper-treading and the AMD 8350 or AMD 9xxx processors are 8 cores, of course the Intel will be faster it is pushing around half the cores at hyper-threading instead of actually pushing 8 full complete cores.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Amd is faster on encoding tha an i5, but the i7 is a different story, if for just occasional encoding then yes the 8350 is a better choice (for the $100+ price difference between it and a 3770K or 4770K, but if doing video alot or as part of your job, most all go to Intel

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Agreed, AMD does beat Intel in very specific settings and very specific applications, Winamp which i use to encode can actually encode using all 8 cores, along with Mediamonkey. Which is why i used AMD instead of Intel.

PC_Guy_2006

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I run that card and have a Sabertooth Z77
(link) http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/ )

but to be honest I would say as long as the motherboard has the features that you are looking for then you don't really have to spend a fortune on one. I normally first look at Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock and go from there.

1.Find one you like the look of.
2. Google it for reviews and use that as a guide to see for any possible common problems.
3. Check online and compare the prices Amazon/Scan/Ebuyer/Overclockers to mention a few.
If I can i normally use Amazon as they have the best RMA if you do get a problem they normally just send you another one before sending back the faulty one.

Hope this helps.