Formatting a 'slave' hard drive on Windows XP

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Formatting
  • Slave Drive
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows XP
September 27, 2013 7:39:28 AM

I can not completely format a hard drive,which was originally a disc 'C' and I put it as a slave drive into another computer.It's still containing some user data and something hidden and I can not access erase it. I have Windows XP

More about : formatting slave hard drive windows

September 27, 2013 11:56:55 AM

A couple things to ask first - how are you trying to format it? (Within XP, or with the setup disk?)

And, have you reset the permissions on the drive?
September 27, 2013 12:07:42 PM

kenaniah7037 said:
A couple things to ask first - how are you trying to format it? (Within XP, or with the setup disk?)

And, have you reset the permissions on the drive?

I tried both and have reset permissions

Related resources
September 27, 2013 12:15:38 PM

Can you create a partition on it? (Usually needs to be done first before formatting....)
September 30, 2013 9:21:03 AM

You may have several partitions on it. Go into Drive Manager, you will see this second drive listed, remove any partition on it. Then create a new on in the same place, make sure it gets a drive letter assigned. Then format it. All of this can be done from the same screen.
October 1, 2013 12:26:09 AM

the option "format " is not highlighed,can't do anything
October 1, 2013 5:33:11 AM

Mick65 said:
the option "format " is not highlighed,can't do anything

Are you going though Disk Manager or though My Computer? Delete the partitions first, then try to format. You can also try gparted live but be very careful when using that as you can easily wipe your main disk with it. You may want to disconnect your main drive if you use it as it's a bootable CD anyway. http://www.pcworld.com/article/226231/GParted_Live.html