Age old question: Buy my parts now or wait and save?

runnyriver

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I want to upgrade my E5300 gaming rig. All new parts.

My newegg wish list is based around:

i7-4770K
MSI Z87-GD65
GIGAABYTE GTX 770 4GB
Thermaltake TP 750w
Corsair 2x4GB 7-8-8-24
Corsair H55 closed loop
Windows 8

I'm hoping to squeeze .5Ghz from the cpu. 4GB graphics to support 1440 gaming, maybe later 4k on SLI. 8GB now, maybe 16GB ram later.

Right now I'm busy with work and school, and I see myself getting more gaming in January.

If I'm patient, how much do you think I could save buying my parts over the holidays vs buying it all now? Professional me wants to wait and save. My inner gamer needs parts NOW!

If you keep waiting...Bigger and better stuff will come out yes, but if you keep waiting for the next best thing like me then you'll still be suck with a Core 2 quad, GTX260, 4 gigs of ram, and still running all disk drive XD

I say if you got the money get it. The only thing is that AMD will be coming out with a new line of Video cards soon but if your an nvidia person stick with what you got listed.

Motherboard is very nice. I would just not get windows 8 lol

runnyriver

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks for your advice. I have spent the last two years waiting. Waiting to see Ivy bridge stomp sandy. Waiting for haswell to be awesome. Windows 8 brings dx 11.2, though. I'm happy with 7, but I don't want to drop over a grand on parts and then be held back by software.

Again, thanks for your advice.

My advice is to wait and save for the future and when you have the money then go, plan and buy all the parts. The reasons are :-

1. The prices generally go cheaper in the future. AMD GPU's price drops are a great example. The 7950 started at 450 dollars but it can be bought now for about 170-180 dollars which is like 3 times less.

2. Also new parts come out in the future for cheaper. The 660Ti got replaced by a more powerful 760 which is cheaper and more powerful.

3. If you bought like say an Intel motherboard but later you want to go with AMD, then you have no option left other than to go for the Intel because you now have to stick with the board.

Hence I suggest you to save first and then buy parts all at once whenever you have decent money saved up.

Dude... 4 1/2 year old thread. Look before you post.