What to do when your Toshiba laptop says it's powered on but the screen wont turn on

I have a Toshiba laptop that I bought 3 years ago and everything has been working fine. I didn't use it for a week and now when I press the power button the screen is completely black. I hear sounds as if its turning on and I see a green light on saying its powered on, I dont know whats wrong.. Help, please??
3 answers Last reply
More about toshiba laptop powered screen wont turn
  1. Sadly, sounds like the graphics chip has crapped out, either it died or the solder has come up from the chip.
  2. getochkn said:
    Sadly, sounds like the graphics chip has crapped out, either it died or the solder has come up from the chip.

What would i do then? Just throw it away? I have no clue!..
  3. Myself, I would take it apart and try to reflow the graphics chip, but I have a $2000 reflow machine made just for reflowing chips. Without that, most shops will charge $100 for a service like this.

A test that I do to determine this and that it's not the screen, is I plug in an external monitor and use the keyboard combo to switch to an external display and see if that works.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops