Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 4440 3.1 GHz vs Core i5 4670 3.4 GHz ( INDIA )

Last response: in CPUs

Which is better for gaming, surfing purpose?

Total: 3 votes

• Core i5 4440 3.1 GHz
  • 0 %
  • Core i5 4670 3.4 GHz
  • 100 %
September 27, 2013 11:48:47 AM

Dear friends,

I am looking to build a PC for home. I will be using it mainly for gaming ( 5-7 days a month only ) + surfing + backup of my US based server.

I have 19 inch Samsung LCD + Keyboard / mouse so I wont need them.

This is what I have in my mind:

- Core i5 4670 3.4GHz with Intel DB85FL Motherboard
- 4GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
- 1TB WD HDD x 2 ( 2nd one is only for backup )
- Sapphire 2GB DDR3 Graphic card
- UMAX Cabinet with SMPS ( standard 500W )
- LG Optical Drive

My friend who is doing the assembling for me told me that they have Intel Core i5 4440 and not 4670.

Price he gave me is Rs.38,950 for the same.

I dont have an issue with price but is i5 4440 good enough for this or should I insist on having i5 4670?

Can you guys please assist?

Regards,
Masud
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2013 12:14:23 PM

Hi Masud

The difference is two fold hyper-threading supported and of course a higher clock speed with the 4670. the hyper-threading is use full less for games than general use particularly if you're running multiple tasks simultaneously.

As the price difference is marginal between the two choices seems reasonable to go with the 4670 for a little extra speed. Here's a graph comparison and you can break it down a bit more by clicking on the options from this wed site.

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/browse/1027_96,1030...
a c 803 à CPUs
September 27, 2013 12:16:09 PM

Quad core i5's do not have hyper threading.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2013 12:41:00 PM

I am corrected thx logainofhades :)  I apologize I went to a retailer for a quick comparison and should have taken an extra moment to verify with Intel...in fact as per Intel both have 4 core 4 thread no hyper-threading which leave the approximately 10 % benchmark difference between them.

As per price the local difference is 20$ leaving whether 20$ is worth 10% :) 

Thx again logainofhades Cheers

September 27, 2013 11:08:36 PM

So you guys are saying that technically there is NO major difference?
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2013 11:50:00 PM

1. Well.. I do not recommend the Intel motherboards at all. I mean they are not good.

2. Also which sapphire card are you getting? We need to know the model since this build is intented for gaming.

3. I also do not recomemend that PSU too. Go with the Corsair, Seasonic or Antec ones instead.

As for the CPU, the 4670 should be a little better but the 4430 should also do a fine job. 300Mhz should not make much of a difference between them. So better buy one that is cheaper and spend the extra money in getting better PSU, GPU instead because Since I am an Indian, I know that the price difference between them is like 2000-3000 rupees. So better spend that extra money on the PSU.
September 28, 2013 12:11:32 AM

Thank you Sangeet. So you are saying that the UMAX Cabinet with SMPS is the thing I should change. Do you recommend Corsair VS550 along with Cooler master Elite 335?

I mean UMAX Cabinet with SMPS costs Rs.2000
Corsair VS550 + Coolermaster Elite 335 costs Rs.6000

Is it really worth it?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2013 12:15:18 AM

I also live in India, so just tell me your overall budget and the parts you need and I will plan one for you.
September 28, 2013 12:25:07 AM

I have kept Rs.50,000 for the same. I was hoping to keep things under Rs.40,000 as far as the Unit is concerned so I could spend other Rs.10,000 on printer / scanner etc.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2013 6:54:09 AM

masudvorajee said:
So you guys are saying that technically there is NO major difference?

Yes and no with the 4670 you're getting a .3 GHz boost over the 4440 with the turbo that increases to . 5 GHz over the later.

Other differences the 4670 has that the 4440 doesn't are:

*Intel® Transactional Synchronization Extensions New Instructions (Intel® TSX-NI) are a set of instructions focused on multi-threaded performance scaling. This technology helps make parallel operations more efficient via improved control of locks in software.

*Intel® vPro™ Technology is a set of security and manageability capabilities built into the processor aimed at addressing four critical areas of IT security: 1) Threat management, including protection from rootkits, viruses, and malware 2) Identity and web site access point protection 3) Confidential personal and business data protection 4) Remote and local monitoring, remediation, and repair of PCs and workstations.

I suspect The Intel® TSX-NI is what was probably the factor that mislead me and the source I used yesterday and I'm not at all clear whether it provides a noticeable benefit.
Bottom line Masud is you aren't likely to regret having more for such a marginal price different going forward.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75047,75038,52210,52214,61...
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2013 7:00:23 AM

Why use flipkart and give more money? Just travel to a IT Mall and buy it for a much less price. Since you would be gaming and would use it for backup and other work then why dont you go for an i5 4670K, little costlier and better.
September 28, 2013 12:55:35 PM

I doubt I can get it in Surat but yeah I can buy it from Mumbai so yeah, thanks guys for your inputs and I will go for Core i5 4670 or 4670K only.

I am still waiting on Sangeet's input about the whole system / unit under Rs.40,000. Once I have it I will update this one as solved.

Thank you
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2013 1:49:26 PM

Cheers Masud enjoy :) 
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 3:16:11 AM

Okay, so I looked up everywhere on Flipkart for deals and stuff and this is the conclusion I have came yet.

1. The build with i5 will cost way too much and would leave not enough money for good graphics card which matters the most for gaming.

2. The build with FX 6300 leaves enough money for making a build with a Nvidia 660 which I recommend for gaming.

So, for 40K, this is the build I have come up with, using AMD CPU.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 6 Core CPU (₹7674 @ Flipkart)
Mobo: MSI 970A-G46 (₹5879 @ Flipkart)
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 (₹4719 @ Flipkart)
PSU: Corsair Cx 500 80 Plus (₹3890 @ Flipkart)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (₹4575 @ Flipkart)
Graphics Card: MSI NVIDIA N660-2GD5/OC 2 GB (₹15688 @ Flipkart)
Cabinet: Bitfenix Merc Aplha (₹3020 @ TheItDepot)
Total: ₹45445

Still by saving on the CPU I had to go above the budget because anything less than this does not offer much gaming performance. So spend like 5,000 extra. Also you can get printer for about 5,000. Buy a HP Inkjet printer. They do not cost much.
September 29, 2013 3:40:17 AM

Much appreciated, mate!

A friend as FX 6300 and he says there is an over heating issue. Is that true?
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 3:59:11 AM

no, AMD had heating issues like 10 years ago. As for now, Intel and AMD both are quite equal in heating area.

Intel Haswells heat very badly too, so it cannot be said that AMD heats and Intel does not. They both are equal here.

And also with this case, the Bitfenix Merc Aplha, it has got very good cooling, so chances of overheating with CPU are quite less.
September 29, 2013 4:05:49 AM

Sounds good. I think I will be able to get this configuration around Rs.40,000 cause Flipkart surely is slightly more expensive than what my friend gets from the dealers.
September 29, 2013 5:27:14 AM

Just one more question to you guys:

Is 2GB DDR3 sufficient or should I go for 1GB DDR5?
September 29, 2013 5:35:59 AM

masudvorajee said:
Thanks mate. I guess I better wait or place an order on Flipkart for the 4670.

http://www.flipkart.com/intel-3-4-ghz-lga1150-4670-i5-4...

Can anyone tell me if the price is right? ( for the whole unit )

dont be foooooooooled
real cost of i5 4670 is 12500 indian rupees.Dont buy any parts from flipkart it is highly overpriced above mrp.buy it from a well established computer wholesale seller.it's my personal experience.
Also cost of fx 6300 is below 7000 rupees
September 29, 2013 5:41:22 AM

Thanks Bharat. I did figure it out though and yeah it seems their reviews are also kinda doctored and canned ;) 
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 6:05:10 AM

masudvorajee said:
Just one more question to you guys:

Is 2GB DDR3 sufficient or should I go for 1GB DDR5?

Why are you getting the 2GB DDR3 card? Also as far as I know, there is no DDR3 version of the Nvidia 660, so which card are you getting?

Seriously, do not go for the DDR3 card. It is of no use at all. It is like 40% worse performer than the GDDR5 cards.

Also do not get anything less than a 660 for enthusiast level gaming.

Also can I know which card are you looking at? Because I do not remember ever seeing a DDR3 version of the 660.
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 7:02:59 AM

masudvorajee said:
I was not referring to 660. I was just checking the options as the 2GB DDR5 card looks slightly expensive. I was referring to this : http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-6450...

This is exactly what I feared you might be doing.

When buying graphics card, just keep one thing straight into your mind and that is more Graphics RAM does not equate to a better graphics card at all.

The Nvidia 660 is like 10 times more powerful than the 6450. There is a big misconception among people that more VRAM is better for gaming and that is not at all right.

Seriously, it is not the VRAM that matters. It is the technology inside the card that matters for gaming. There might be good reviews of the 6450 2GB Card but they are all just because those guys are clearly blinded by the 2GB VRAM and they do not have any knowledge about the Video Cards at all.

The 6450 would never be able to pull more than like 10 frames out of Battlefield 3 at 1080p even on medium settings wheras the 660 would be able to play it on high settings at 40+ FPS easily.

Please, just start a new thread asking people 660 vs 6450 2GB both and you will know exactly what it is.

Please take my advice and go for the 660 instead. Seriously, it offers way better performance than thee 6450 ever could give in it's whole life.

The 660 comes at a price and for a good reason.

660 is like 10 times better than the 6450, maybe even more better.
September 29, 2013 7:14:31 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
masudvorajee said:
I was not referring to 660. I was just checking the options as the 2GB DDR5 card looks slightly expensive. I was referring to this : http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-6450...

This is exactly what I feared you might be doing.

When buying graphics card, just keep one thing straight into your mind and that is more Graphics RAM does not equate to a better graphics card at all.

The Nvidia 660 is like 10 times more powerful than the 6450. There is a big misconception among people that more VRAM is better for gaming and that is not at all right.

Seriously, it is not the VRAM that matters. It is the technology inside the card that matters for gaming. There might be good reviews of the 6450 2GB Card but they are all just because those guys are clearly blinded by the 2GB VRAM and they do not have any knowledge about the Video Cards at all.

The 6450 would never be able to pull more than like 10 frames out of Battlefield 3 at 1080p even on medium settings wheras the 660 would be able to play it on high settings at 40+ FPS easily.

Please, just start a new thread asking people 660 vs 6450 2GB both and you will know exactly what it is.

Please take my advice and go for the 660 instead. Seriously, it offers way better performance than thee 6450 ever could give in it's whole life.

The 660 comes at a price and for a good reason.

660 is like 10 times better than the 6450, maybe even more better.

Jeez, so thats the reason why the difference was too high. Since I have the budget on hands, I guess I will stick to the 660.

Thanks for the explanation, Sangeet. Much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 7:19:18 AM

I also thank you too, just because you accepted this fact rather than just goingk bashing me like most people do when I tell them about this fact.

Most of the times when I tell people about the similar thing that I told you, people are like.. "No, you are wrong and you know nothing and blah blah.."

It was nice of you to accept it right away rather than questioning it. It is for your good after all..

Have fun building this build.
September 29, 2013 7:26:05 AM

I must add,

Sangeet, please keep it in mind that I am not going to use this PC as the gaming PC. I will play games once or twice a month only. It will be mainly used for surfing and backing up my server.

If you still think this 2GB DDR5 graphic card and AMD instead of Intel is best we can have then I will blindly go for it.
September 29, 2013 7:28:00 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
I also thank you too, just because you accepted this fact rather than just goingk bashing me like most people do when I tell them about this fact.

Most of the times when I tell people about the similar thing that I told you, people are like.. "No, you are wrong and you know nothing and blah blah.."

It was nice of you to accept it right away rather than questioning it. It is for your good after all..

Have fun building this build.

Naah, I am not that kind of person. I had to ask people here just cause I have ZERO knowledge about all this and I just wanted to know if I am getting the best configuration by spending Rs.40,000 or not.

I seriously appreciate all your inputs. :) 
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 7:31:07 AM

Well... the 6300 is good enough for Surfing and backing up your server. Even an Pentium G2020 can do that stuff, so I think you are just fine with that CPU.

Even though, you are not playing games too much then it might be better to settle for a cheaper GPU instead. But that is really up to you to decide.

You tell me, even though if you play games like once or two times a month, do you really need that good GPU? It is up to you to answer.

It is up to you that how much priority do you give to gaming.
September 29, 2013 7:43:37 AM

Can you please suggest a cheaper GPU? Like 1GB DDR5 or still any other recommendation from DDR3?

Thank you
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 9:04:30 AM

For what budget?
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 9:07:37 AM

Well.. for about 6,800 rupees, this GPU is quite good for a part time gamer who is not much into gaming.

Get this one. It is a 7750, so it should perform quite well. Just do not expect extreme performance from it and it should be just fine for needs of a part time gamer.

Also it does not require much power, so it would not suck much power anyway.

http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-amd-ati-gv-r775oc-1gi-...

I hope this helps.
September 29, 2013 9:48:15 AM

Great. I think that serves my purpose and the saving ( Rs.7500 ) can be used towards Coolermaster Cabinet and PSU.

Thank you very much for all the help Sangeet. :) 
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 11:17:03 PM

Which Coolermaster cabinet are you getting?
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2013 11:19:21 PM

I would say it would be better to put the money into the CPU and go for the Intel instead, since it would be quite better for the future.

Also as for the PSU and Cabinet you already have a good cabinet and PSU. The Bitfenix Merc Alpha has won editor's choice award like everywhere on the Internet.

Also the Corsair CX 500 is better than most budget Cooler Master PSU.

Note : One thing I would suggest is that before making changes to the build at least ask me. You do not want to go for the bad parts. Do you?
September 30, 2013 12:15:11 AM

Hmmmm, in that case - I want you to take a look again at the original build:

- Core i5 4670 3.4GHz with Intel DB85FL Motherboard
- 4GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
- 1TB WD HDD x 2 ( 2nd one is only for backup )
- Sapphire 2GB DDR3 Graphic card
- UMAX Cabinet with SMPS ( standard 500W )
- LG Optical Drive

We can change the GPU, PSU and Cabinet from this. It will add Rs.3000 for GPU + Rs.3000 for PSU and Cabinet. Original quote was Rs.39,000 + Rs.6,000 will make it Rs.45,000.

What do you say?
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2013 1:22:18 AM

No, I am not talking about the orignal build. I am talking about the build that you have planned to get after all my suggestions. We have come a long way through the orignal build.

Post the build which you are willing to go after all my suggestions.
September 30, 2013 2:10:28 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
1. Well.. I do not recommend the Intel motherboards at all. I mean they are not good.

Why would you say that AMD is better, Sangeet?
In single-threaded tasks, the Intel i5-4670 processor has 72% better performance.
The Core i5-4670 performs 41% faster in multi-threaded applications.
Memory performance of the Intel i5-4670 CPU is better.
In graphics tasks and games, the Intel i5-4670 has 3% higher performance.
September 30, 2013 3:10:24 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
No, I am not talking about the orignal build. I am talking about the build that you have planned to get after all my suggestions. We have come a long way through the orignal build.

Post the build which you are willing to go after all my suggestions.

I am meeting my friend after few hours. Will post the final build after meeting him.

Have to consider which parts are available in the market.
September 30, 2013 3:16:18 AM

CaptAlan said:
Sangeet Khatri said:

In single-threaded tasks, the Intel i5-4670 processor has 72% better performance.

Maybe it was his personal opinion.

I myself have used Intel products for years and thats why wanted to continue using it. This is the first time I checked on forums to see what other experts say.

Whats your take on the build, Alan?
September 30, 2013 4:53:40 AM

I'd say stick to your original plan... If you don't want to upset your friend then it isn't
such a train-smash if you have to go with the 4440, but the 4670 is better.

I have a similar rig and have NEVER regretted buying it. :) 

Good luck!
September 30, 2013 5:38:22 AM

Oh come on! I doubt I will upset anyone. Its just that he gave me such good advices. Now I will have to utilize it and see what do we have in market.

Called 3-4 vendors and nobody has 4670. They said they cant say anything till 3rd or 4th of October about the processor will be available or not.
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2013 9:29:28 AM

CaptAlan said:
Sangeet Khatri said:

Confusion.. Confusion..

By Intel Motherboard I mean that the Motherboards that were made by Intel, not their platform.

What I meant was the go with Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, etc but not with the Motherboard manufactured by Intel. The model number of that motherboard made by Intel is the Intel DB85FL Motherboard.

I hope this avoids all confusion.

Also i5 4670 performs like 40 percent better in Single Threaded performance, not 72 percent.

Also in multi threaded performance the Intel is just like 10-15 percent ahead than the FX 6300.

Take my advice. Do not follow the benchmarks at CPU-World. They are quite unrealistic. Both the CPU's were probably benchmarked with different RAM, Graphics Card and with varying thermal conditions. So think of those benchmarks as very rough estimations.

Also I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Intel, what I meant was that motherboards manufactured by Intel are not good, though their chipset it still awesome but quite overpriced if you ask me. That is all. Also now Intel has opted out of the motherboard manufacturing business, so there would be no new BIOS updated to the existing motherboard created by Intel. This is what I meant.

So to avoid any confusions ahead. I has to clearify this point.

I hope now you know what I meant. :) 
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2013 9:38:16 AM

Also I suggested the AMD CPU because it allowed for a much better GPU, but yeah not that I know that he is not going to game on his build. I can openly suggest him the Intel CPU and use the 7750 GPU instead of the 660. That solved everything.

For general usage Intel is better than the AMD. The reason why I suggested AMD was because it allowed for a better GPU, that is it.
September 30, 2013 11:00:00 AM

Sangeet, so which motherboard will go well with Intel i5 4440?
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2013 3:30:21 AM

This board should be enough for that CPU : http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga-b85-d3h-motherboard...

Note : Consider going for the LGA 1155 CPU's instead because of the following reasons :

1. The LGA 1155 CPU's are cheaper than the LGA 1150 ones.
2. The perform almost the same, not much performance difference.
3. The LGA 1155 motherboards are like 2000 rupees cheaper than the LGAA 1150.

The reason why the LGA 1150 is exensive, at least in India is because it is newer but keep in mind, newer does not always mean better.

The performance is more or less the same. So go for the LGA 1155 instead and save some money.
!