Can I upgrade the processor inlmy Pavilion dv6 3410 mx apu

AllanRiscUser

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
AMD a6 3410 MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics, system board 1809 33 58
Can I upgrade to an Intel i5 and will I be able to get a new motherboard?
At present the Laptop is so slow.
I like the look and feel of the present keyboard, and case etc, so do not really want to change this.
I was looking at a new i7 but it does not have an optical drive and I have been advised that it would be over kill for what I wish to do on it.

You will not be able to buy a motherboard for that laptop to use an Intel CPU.

Laptops have motherboard specifically designed to fit in the chassis (laptop case). It may be possible upgrade to a more powerful AMD APU, but the BIOS must support and the current APU cannot be soldered into the motherboard.

If you want to switch to Intel, then you need to buy a laptop with an Intel CPU.

Also, if you want to play games, then you need to buy the best laptop you can afford with a graphics chip that gives you the performance you want. The vast majority of laptops cannot have their GPUs upgraded. That ability is typically limited to specific laptop models that general cost at least $1,400. Just because a laptop costs $2,000, that does not mean you can upgrade the graphics. Specific laptop models only.

AllanRiscUser

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Thank you for your answer. Looks as if I will have to buy an i5, I am advised that the i7 would be of little use to me as what I run at present does not need it, the i5 would do the job just as well. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I do not use/play on line games.
My reason for upgrading as I stated before is to get a better over all performance.