DVI adapter won't fit 2nd slot on Radeon HD6850 - any advice?

AMcDermott

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I have a dual monitor set up with an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX. I'm using non-DVI monitors so they use DVI to VGA adaptors on the end of the graphics cable to attach to the 8800 GTX - no problems.

I'm trying to upgrade to an ATI Radeon HD6850, which also has dual DVI inputs like the 8800 GTX.

I was able to install the HD6850 and get up and running immediately with a single monitor running off the DVI, but the dual DVI inputs are not both like the 8800 GTX - one is a DVI-I just like both on the nVidia card - that's fine, but here's the kicker - the other is DVI-D so the 2nd adaptor won't fit (note the 2nd and 4th images below - my male adaptor pins are like in the 2nd (i.e. with corner pins) and the card input is female DVI-D like in the 4th down, with no corner pin sockets.

181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

I attempted a bit of surgery, like on here - removing the 4 corner pins and cutting the large one down in size, but no joy so far - it's fitting on but the monitor doesn't seem to be detected.

So my question is: will this card (HD6850) work with 2 VGA monitors if I can get a proper VGA-DVI-I adaptor? Any other tips & advice?

(And why the f**k did ATI release a device with 2 different ports, 1 incompatible with most adaptors?)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
DVD-I means it is Integrated; both digital (DVI) and analog (VGA) on the same port. The 4 small holes surrounding the flat blade are the analog (VGA) signal. You can't get a VGA signal if those are missing. You either need a different card or a new monitor.

AMcDermott

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Ok, so "DVI-D only carries Digital signal, DVI-I has Analog (VGA)". Ok, so back to the 8800 I go.

Cheers!

Esinem

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
The top port is DVI/VGA but the bottom one is DVI only so you can't connect a VGA monitor to it using an adaptor. You can have 2 x DVI or 1 x DVD + 1 x VGA