New computer suggestions

Tyler Card

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900ALED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($221.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($149.60 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1081.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I would like some suggestions, though cost isn't much of an issue, I would prefer to reduce cost. If this is a good set up, I'm fine at keeping it at this price. I am capable of spending $1500, but would prefer to keep it under $1000.

The main suggestions I am looking for in order of relevance are...
1- there is a much cheaper part with *minimal* performance loss
2- there is a much better component with *minimal* price increase
3- you might be happier with this part even though it cost a lot more
4- you might be happier with this part even though it has much less performance.

For an idea of what I'm looking for,
1- I want a very fast computer cold boot speed, with a flawless windows experience
2- I want a very noticeable performance increase from my current amd phenom iix4 940 3.0ghz processor with gtx 260 gpu and 4x2 gb ddr2 ram with raid 0 7200rpm 500gb hard drives.
3- The games I play are cs:go, dota2, and starcraft 2. ideally, I would like to play all of those games at ultra settings with 0 delay (i'm pretty sure this configuration could do this without breaking a sweat.)
4- I do high resolution 2d rendering in Photoshop (cs2).
5- Other than that, I just do web browsing, and school stuff.

Drop the CPU cooler because you cant overclock. Change the motherboard to an h77 board to save money because you won't be overclocking. Use the saved money to bump up to an hd7850. Get a WAY cheaper PSU. An XFX 550w will be just as high quality and be way more than enough for this system.

Tyler Card

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

okay, editing now, though I would like to mention that I do want the ability to SLI/crossfire. i probably never will, but i've always wanted to. is 550 psu still sufficient? i remember reading before that you should get about 200 watts more than you will ever need to keep the load down on the psu and get a longer life, is that still true, or has psu quality reached the point where that is no longer relevant?
Also, the main reason for the cpu cooler was because i've always went stock, and though they boast that they are quiet, they never have been quiet enough for me. will the stock cooler be quiet?

The stock cooler should be just fine noise wise. Your case is VERY cheap and not going to make anything qiet though.

Honestly, don't worry about CF/SLI. Just get the cheaper board and no CPU cooler and get an hd7850. Better performance in games and no extra money spent.

Tyler Card

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Ilno
here is my edited list, there seemed to be a huge selection for 7850hd, spanning from $100-250. i believe i made the right choice, please let me know.

also, what is a good/quiet case for the money?

That is a good GPU if you can get it for the 12% off price. If not, get the cheapest 2gb 7850 that there is regardless of brand.

for the case, have a look at Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Coolermaster, Fractal Design for excellent quality.

Tyler Card

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013