High End Gaming Rig Advice (Water Cooled)

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys, it's Sam here.

After you guys helping me with my first build, I've returned to Tom's to get some much needed advice and criticism on my next build. I now know that I'm the kind of person that does an update every few years, since my build has lasted me this long with good game FPS. Keeping that in mind, my goal is to create a High-End Gaming PC that will be able to play anything on highest settings for atleast the next 3 years. I'll be buying parts when I have the money, so hopefully these Christmas Holidays.

My current setup:

CPU - AMD FX-4100
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-907a-D3
RAM - G.Skill 2x4gb 1600Mhz
GPU - EVGA GTX 560
PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme 800w
Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Overview: These are the parts I've currently selected for the build.

CPU - i7 4770K
I picked the 4770K for multiple reasons. Even though the 4570k is around $100 cheaper, the 4770K is more tailored to my needs since I do a lot of heavy multitasking, and I need a better CPU so I can do video editing. It's also a good performer in gaming benchmarks. Thus the 4770K fills that box.

Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Formula
I've read a few reviews of the board and they've all been positive. It Natively supports 2133Mhz Ram (Up to 32gb), has a lovely colour scheme, supports 3-way SLI and the list goes on!

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8gb DDR3-2133Mhz
I chose 2x8gb as it gives me the option of adding another 16gb later on down the track. Why 2133Mhz? Why not! It's got a CAS Latency of 9 and it's also ridiculously cheap here in NZ.

GPU - EVGA GTX 780
I chose the GTX 780 as it's a solid performer and with 2 of them in SLI eventually the build will be able to easily conquer any game. Since I'll be WC I don't need to worry about Factory OCing and Aftermarket coolers as I'll be using a GPU water block.

PSU - Corsair 1200i
I'm either going to get the 860i or 1200i. Both have the 80 Platinum rating, which is amazing considering I run my PC 24/7, so that'll save a lot of power bills ;) They're also modular, which is important to me as I will be swapping out the cables with a coloured sleeve kit.

Case - Corsair 900D
I chose the 900D because 1) It's a nice looking case, 2) Can easily fit any WC Rig and 3) It'll easily hold up for at least 3 years with constant use. I'm still deciding on parts for my WC loop, but this build is going to look awesome :)

SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 750GB
I picked the 840 Evo because it has a great cost per GB here in NZ and it's enough to fit my current library of Steam games, OS and all my other programs. 750gb is a lot of space, but I'm sure I can use it all.

As for cooling, I'm going for a Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop built by myself, hence the 900D. I like having a quiet PC and having a water cooled PC means I can finally delve into Over Clocking without fear of over-heating!

I'll thank you guys in advance, since I know you'll bring the best advice around. Feel free to give me advice on the WC Loop in the 900D, I have no idea about the optimal loop in the 900D. So any advice is welcome.

- Sam

*Edit*
I'm in New Zealand, so using PCPartPicker with the NZ Region enabled is helpful. Budget is AS around $3-5K NZD, including WC Loop. I'm also thinking about buying the parts from the U.S. and shipping them over, because it would cut off atleast 2K NZD which means more money to spend on more parts :)

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I would save on the case and ssd to SLI the GPU. Take into account that this build will be unnecessary and superfluous for gaming. An i7 is overkill for gaming, especially if it only needs to last 3yrs...

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

That's something I shall consider. Maybe getting a 256gb SSD to run all the games and programs with a 1TB for Programs etc.

I'll take a look at other cases as well. I knew a 900D would be overkill. I'll start pricing up some other cases.

I'll keep the i7 since I'll be doing Video Editing as well as gaming. The main reason why I'm getting an i7 is because my FX-4100 is inadequate to even do basic Video Editing.

Thanks for your input, I'll update the post shortly!
- Samo

On video editing you kind need 3930k or new 4930k CPU.
For watercooling build good case is new PHANTEKS Enthoo Primo.
Look this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_DzdHGgN4

Corsair 1200i is bit old. Id look new Corsair RM PSU's
Or Rosewill Lightning / Tachyon. They are made by Superflower.
Superflower is good brand too. Same as PC cooling silencer.
They are really good reliable PSU's

If you with 2011 build take 4 * 8GB memory. 4930k is first Intel CPU that supports 1866MHz memory.

For video editing what software are you using?

SSD looks good. Only thing with samsung EVO is that it do have not so good memory chip as then PRO. If you buy first 2 Samsung pro 256GB SSD + bigger EVO that is maybe better way to go. Then you can RAID 0 SSD's and they will give more speed in RAID configuration.
In video editing god to have cashing SSD / scarch disk space. This can be 32-128GB cheaper SSD. Just look write speeds. They are what really matters.

Looks solid good plan :)

Good MoBo for X-79 2011 build is Asus PRO or Gigabyte UD4
Maybe even EATX Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI if you need more storage room.
Depending price too. (maybe) :)

This kindof build will work lot longer than 3 years.
I think new MoBo's will come out soon with DDR4 memory?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcOkoWgw2_s

Now what was the budget? :D

This good to look if you plan on doing video editing with adobe premier.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-162/

Or maybe someone knows better what to use. Things go really fast forward. So best look if can find some better
solutions :) Good luck with build :)

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Video Editing is something I want to get into, but can't due to my current CPU (It's slow as hell with encoding). Hence the i7 4770K.

Sadly, it seem here in NZ we have neither Rosewill nor the Corsair RM PSU's.

I'm now thinking of getting a 500gb EVO compared to the 700gb EVO.

- Samo

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I'm currently, repricing the build and swapping a few components. I know of the issue with RAM on Haswell above 1.6v, I'm looking at a G.Skill Trident X 2x8gb 2133Mhz Kit and it runs at exactly 1.6v. Am I able to run this RAM on the board without any complications?

- Samo

If you do not have enough money for 3930k or 4930k you can get 3820 (if you find good and cheap used cpu) Or 4920. That way you go to X-79 2011 build and you can upgrade later.
Look cheap used 3930k too. Here they cost about 320-340 € and that is about same what 4770k is new price.

Good PSU you can find from seasonic too. "G" and "X" are awesome psu¨s.
XFX is good too. You really do not need 1200w is you do not run four way SLI.

Hope this helps save some money :) And you still get really good build:)

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Take a look at this.

You really do see a depreciative effect after the 4770k. Don't get me wrong, you will see a noticeable difference, but for someone who is only just getting into editing, it might not be worth it. But if you can justify it, then go for it! They are awesome chipsets to work with. As AxlFone said, get a smaller PSU if you decide to never use SLI

TRENDING THREADS