Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Check Out Microsoft's Surface 2 Commercial

Last response: in News comments
September 28, 2013 6:05:53 AM

Eh, not a bad ad... Actually stresses some of the things the Surface does that people might want ahead of a bunch of people dancing around. Comparison ads are not the best idea now either since some other Windows 8 tablets are probably better buys at lesser prices (Asus T100) - though, seeing how they actually are build wise and stuff is still a wild card in this case.

Score
September 28, 2013 7:07:39 AM

Their marketing is totally off. For example they state:
"The new surface, the one device for everything in your life." "This lets you run your favorite apps, next to your favorite apps". "So you can do real work."

My understanding is that I will not be able to reformat the thing and install linux on it because they have disabled in the hardware the ability to load any other OS. So I won't be able to do real work, run my favorite apps, or be a device for anything in my life. To be fair I usually keep a copy of windows on a partition that I can boot up if I ever need windows. Which, well, might happen if I ever started playing games again. Not very likely since I would only want to try games that ran on Linux.
Score
Related resources
September 28, 2013 7:09:08 AM

"Apps"...I hate this word.
Score
September 28, 2013 7:22:35 AM

Finally they did away with the obnoxious as fuck dancing ads. Dancing people? Who fucking cares, Microsoft? Who!? No one, evidentially!

Tell us about the product and why we might actually want one. Novel concept, I know.

Bad advertising quickly makes me loathe a product to the point where I won't by anything from that company any more. Fickle? Perhaps, but it takes two tango. Stop with the shitty ads already...

This ad was alright. Finally telling people what the hell the product actually IS! WOW!
Score
September 28, 2013 7:30:04 AM

The only real problem is Windows RT. People just won't buy it because it does not run full Windows apps.
Score
September 28, 2013 7:37:01 AM

ioconnor said:
"The new surface, the one device for everything in your life." "This lets you run your favorite apps, next to your favorite apps". "So you can do real work."

My understanding is that I will not be able to reformat the thing and install linux on it because they have disabled in the hardware the ability to load any other OS. So I won't be able to do real work, run my favorite apps, or be a device for anything in my life. To be fair I usually keep a copy of windows on a partition that I can boot up if I ever need windows. Which, well, might happen if I ever started playing games again. Not very likely since I would only want to try games that ran on Linux.

Until now I've not looked into reformatting as that would be silly considering being able to run Windows opens up so many doors, especially for work. MS actually announced that you can install a different OS. The whole "it will be locked down..." rumor was just that. Another baseless rumor against MS. I had hoped techies would have stopped buying into linux/apple fan-boy lies by now.
Score
September 28, 2013 7:55:10 AM

mstngs351 said:
ioconnor said:

Until now I've not looked into reformatting as that would be silly considering being able to run Windows opens up so many doors, especially for work. MS actually announced that you can install a different OS. The whole "it will be locked down..." rumor was just that. Another baseless rumor against MS. I had hoped techies would have stopped buying into linux/apple fan-boy lies by now.

Speaking of fanbois... Windows RT is not Windows, mstngs351.

Who is spreading "fan-boy lies" now, eh?
Score
September 28, 2013 8:31:56 AM

Why do they continue to use nvidia's shitty Tegra chips ?
Score
September 28, 2013 8:50:33 AM

Finally a right ads
Score
September 28, 2013 9:33:11 AM

ioconnor, seeing as 0.86% of desktop use is Linux I think you will not be missed
Score
September 28, 2013 9:52:54 AM

Quote:
Tegra 4 is on-par with Snapdragon 800.
Score
September 28, 2013 12:54:06 PM

I can understand the need for portable computing. What I will never understand is how anyone can think that any portable will ever be as powerful as a desktop. The laws of physics won't allow it.
Score
September 28, 2013 2:30:56 PM

Finally a right ads
Score
September 28, 2013 5:35:17 PM

Bloob said:
Quote:

Should have added LTE as an option at launch. This is one of the reason why there is hardly any map navigation app for RT.
Score
September 28, 2013 5:40:02 PM

ram1009 said:
I can understand the need for portable computing. What I will never understand is how anyone can think that any portable will ever be as powerful as a desktop. The laws of physics won't allow it.

Mobile computing will never be as powerful as desktop due to power supply and heat issue. What is more dangerous is that the existing software and hardware companies might draw the wrong conclusion and actively abandon desktop and hence ends up destroying it.
Score
September 28, 2013 5:46:37 PM

A better ads than the first one with dancing people no doubt. It would have been better if Microsoft concentrate more on what is so magical about using Surface instead of trying to merely explaining the improved specifications. Common people with little understanding of IT tech only has vague idea of IT tech will not understand how Surface can be useful for them.

Also, I notice the ads showing file copying in desktop mode. Microsoft really needs a more touch friendly version of file explorer as it is still easy to select the wrong files with the current version in desktop.
Score
September 28, 2013 6:03:04 PM

Surface 2 is the second best tablet in the market, in my opionion. Surface Pro 2, the best.
Score
September 28, 2013 11:05:18 PM

"magical" I hate this word
Score
September 29, 2013 1:22:51 AM

Why buy the surface pro 2 when for less money, you can buy a laptop with better specs, and still have enough money left over for for a nexus 10 tablet (16GB)?

The surface pro 2 starts at $900 and only has 64GB of flash (where the OS takes up half) the 512GB storage model cost $1800

a laptop with the same specs (except for the display), + the purchase of a 512GB SSD cost $830 (that is cheaper than their 64GB model.

If a user does not mind a slower access time and lower res display, they can just go with a Acer Aspire E1-572-6870, then use the rest of the money to buy a nexus 10 tablet (which has the best 2560x1600 mobile display currently available)

and it will be $50 cheaper than the 64GB surface pro 2.

or if you want, for $50 less than the 64GB surface pro 2, get a
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 which has significantly faster CPU, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and SLI geforce GT 650M

and a 1080p display

then use the other $50 to get your self a nook color tablet and put cyanogenmod on it

Score
September 29, 2013 6:48:05 AM

bought a laptop, spent 2 hours customizing windows 8 to act and feel like windows 7. And this thing come with that same piece of %&!!!!&% I had to spent time to disguise?
Score
September 29, 2013 9:43:55 AM

w8gaming said:
Bloob said:
Quote:

Should have added LTE as an option at launch. This is one of the reason why there is hardly any map navigation app for RT.

That should change with the Nokia RT tablet next month. :) 
Score
September 30, 2013 1:59:22 AM

"Check Out Microsoft's Surface 2 Commercial" How much Microsoft pays you to distribute all Microsoft commercial?
Score
September 30, 2013 2:08:44 AM

razor512 said:
Why buy the surface pro 2 when for less money, you can buy a laptop with better specs, and still have enough money left over for for a nexus 10 tablet (16GB)?

I see your logic. You could say that you can buy desktop with more power, storage and bigger display. You would save enough money to buy digital watch and that watch would be lighter, thinner and would have better battery life then any other tablet/laptop. But we are here talking about portable power... not just power or just portability.

It's obvious that Surface Pro is the smallest ultrabook on the market and still has reasonable power with some additional goodies (it can replace your tablet). Surface (RT) is just a tablet that happen to have some PC functionality (multi user OS, real USB, external displays, office for free...). They may not be for everybody but they are great and unique products. That kind of products are usually not cheep.

While I don't think that starting prices are unreasonable... I do not understand why they are asking so much for upgrades and accessories. M$ is not alone here. Looks like any other company is doing just the same.
Score
September 30, 2013 3:42:21 AM

@gnodeb
Your comperission is invalid. Surface is just a tablet with physical keyboard. There is no point to use it for work unless you masochist. Its better to spend money for something portable that you can work on and something for really portable and not bloated with cutdown diskspace options.
ARM Surface doesn't make sense because of Google who make it better. And x86 Surface doesn't make sense because you could buy something better for the same money.
Score
September 30, 2013 4:25:30 AM

Windows RT is superior to any Apple or Android equivalent - go try it for yourself, the other devices are toys compared to any Windows RT based tablet, and dont complain that it cant run any x86 applications - its competitors cant either, so stop your bitching

Seems like there are a lot of morons here who just complain and have no idea what there talking about or have never used or experienced what they are criticizing

I suggest to you the haters to actually pick up and use one of these Surface devices for your self and you will understand why there more expensive - there made from better components and materials to a higher standard.

If you want your cheap crappy unit go buy it - no one is stopping you, just dont complain that a premium product cost more
Score
September 30, 2013 5:20:47 AM

This will flop hard just like first round of surface.
Pricing is way off for most people's marginal utility of this device.

Nice try MSFT, another monumental failure.
Add it to the list of: first round of tablets (10 years ago, your mobile offerings the last 10 years, zune, Surface RT, Surface Pro 1, and a bunch of other ventures you've had that have collectively lost your company 2-4 billion)
Score
September 30, 2013 6:32:22 AM

ioconnor said:

OK either you're applying computer standards to Surface 2 or just completely uninformed about Surface Pro 2. You can't run iOS on an Android tablet or Android on an iPad, why would you be able to run Linux on a Surface? And the Surface Pro 2 is just a computer. As long as the OS you're installing supports secure boot [which at least Ubuntu does], you can install whatever you want on it.

With that said, I think Windows RT needs to die a fiery death so MS stops bothering with it and just produces Baytrail tablets for their lower end instead of ARM. I'll be getting a Pro 2, but there's just no excuse anymore for MS trying to get Windows on ARM to sell, intel has seen to that with Haswell and Baytrail.

Score
September 30, 2013 9:32:51 AM

rokit said:
@gnodeb
Your comperission is invalid. Surface is just a tablet with physical keyboard. There is no point to use it for work unless you masochist. Its better to spend money for something portable that you can work on and something for really portable and not bloated with cutdown diskspace options.
ARM Surface doesn't make sense because of Google who make it better. And x86 Surface doesn't make sense because you could buy something better for the same money.

Yes, I like to exaggerate a bit... but you can say the same for every single ultrabook on the market. There is always a cheaper laptop with the same specs. Why should we bring that argument just for SurfacePro? And why stop with laptops, go buy desktop for even less money.

About RT... I see a trend of ignoring some unique features with "I don't need that" argument. You have to admit... Surface has some features that Adndroid and iOS tablets don't. And while there are cheaper tablets then Surface there are more expensive too. But there is no other tablet that can run real office on external monitor with real mouse & keyboard. Some people use desktops just for that... Maybe we don't need that, but at that price point it's a good option...
Score
September 30, 2013 3:21:30 PM

I understand that the Surface (Pro) is not for everyone but it is a really good piece of hardware.

Having owned an HP Envy 15 "gaming" laptop I can honestly say that was the worst experience I have ever had with hardware. The machine was basically worthless. This might be because I build my own gaming rigs and a full sized keyboard and mouse on a 23 inch 1920x1200 (not 1080) monitor just works better. But hunching over to play games on a 13 inch monitor hurt my back, hurt my eyes, and made me significantly worse at the games I tried to play.

I experimented to the tune of $1200 for that ultra book (and that was a good price on it at the time) and I actually regret giving it to someone else as it was just a miserable piece of non-functional hardware.

I ended up with a Surface RT for free, and it was a neat device. I don't like tablets in general and the Surface RT is a tablet. It had most of the same foibles that kept me from ever bothering with an iPad. It doesn't have a fully functioning browser (though the Windows RT browser was WAY better than any of it's competitors at the time) it wouldn't run my classic Windows programs, and "apps" is a bad word to me. It means a less functional program or website. Worse, it was fairly restrictive on Video codecs so I couldn't watch a lot of movies and TV I had previously encoded from my HTPC.

However, the touch keyboard works well, and with office I was able to read email and type in Word anywhere. It was light and the integrated kick stand meant I didn't have to get a special cover for it. I liked that so I bought a Pro when they came out because it would literally fix every issue I had with the Surface RT.

For the same money as the HP gaming laptop (keyboard was $100, got an extra pen, and I got the 128gb version) I ended up with a device that I force on everyone I meet because I really do think it's an amazing piece of hardware. I have a company issued Win 8 convertible as well (little dell thing) and it's no where near as nice. The weight of the Surface Pro is a huge factor in portability and I really don't mind carrying it (even without a shoulder strap bag) for a couple of hours. It lasts most of the day and it does everything my desktops can because it's a full PC.

I will admit I don't do much gaming on it because 10.6 inches is crap for gaming, but I do have Marvel Heroes installed and it runs well with video settings at High. With the mini-display out I do hook it up to my TV regularly and stream movies and play games on it (the USB port means I can use my xbox controllers on it as well).

I'm sold on X86 tablets, I think they're great and I'm considering an upgrade for more ram and a larger SSD. Might wait for the Surface Pro 3 though as $1300 (256gb version) is just a bit much for some quality of life issues, but I haven't seen any other device I like as much.

Of note: the pen functionality of the Surface Pro is fantastic. I have Sketchbook Pro for it and I've started drawing again. A lot of people forget the Surface can do that, and it really is important when you figure a new Cintique is $1000 for a 13 inch screen that you need another computer just to use.

_WAter_
Score
September 30, 2013 4:38:43 PM

hardcore_gamer said:
"Apps"...I hate this word.

Same, with a passion. But like other terms such as "blog" and "podcast" they have been assimilated into the vernacular and at this point are unlikely to be rooted out.

Sangeet Khatri said:
The only real problem is Windows RT. People just won't buy it because it does not run full Windows apps.

Same reason people don't like iOS because it's not full MacOS? It comes down to consumer preference and what they want out of their mobile devices. WinRT is a lot closer to Win8 than iOS is to MacOS, and I believe that's a good thing.

razor512 said:

No, no you can't ( at least right now. ) Find me a 10.6" laptop with a Haswell i5, 1080p touch display, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, that weighs less than 2 lbs, for under $1000. Lenovo's Yoga comes in 11" and 13" flavors ( neither with 1080 displays, ) are still using Ivy Bridge, and are over 3 lbs. Asus' Zenbook and Toshiba's Portégé come close, but they still use Ivy brdige, are bigger, and more expensive ( unless you find clearance items. ) So no, if you want a premium touchscreen laptop under 10" with this kind of performance, the Surface is the only game that I can find right now.

rokit said:
@gnodeb

The only thing masochistic is trying to do actual work on a virtual keyboard. If a physical keyboard on a tablet is such a difficult thing to use, why do I see Zagg Folios on iPads everywhere? Because that actual keyboard suddenly gives you back the entire screen to look at. You have near instant access to numbers, special characters, and the like without having to toggle keyboard modes. Taking notes, composing emails, drafting documents, and much more becomes exponentially easier and faster to do with said keyboard.

You may think Android is superior to WinRT, but that's hardly concrete fact. And you're dead wrong that you can get a similarly equipped laptop for the price of a Surface Pro.
Score
October 6, 2013 10:34:06 PM

@gnodeb
You can have office on Android too. RT doesn't have the same software so its not a win on the front. People don't work on tablets, just view some files, largely internet and video/music, its a toy in my eyes and Android made it better already, even Apple can't get as much people to use their.
We're talking about portable devices so comaring with PC is wrong.

@RedJaron
Masochist would be the one 'working' on a tablet. If you have money to burn on MS Pro you CAN buy laptop much faster for the same money, thats a fact.
Score
October 31, 2013 1:34:58 PM

rokit said:
@RedJaron
Masochist would be the one 'working' on a tablet. If you have money to burn on MS Pro you CAN buy laptop much faster for the same money, thats a fact.

Oh, so transcribing notes in a meeting isn't real work? Drafting product documentation isn't real work? Reading through and replying to a lot of emails isn't real work? Yes, tablets can have a lot of productivity restrictions, but slapping a physical keyboard on one solves all the basic ones. No, you likely shouldn't expect to compile tons of code, transcribe hours of video, or render complex CAD models on a Surface, iPad, Galaxy, or other portable devices. But even the most powerful laptops struggle with such demanding tasks when compared to a full desktop rig, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about that.

I've never argued you can't get a laptop cheaper than a Surface Pro, even a faster, better performing one. But you'll have to compromise somewhere. You either get a bigger device, ditch the touchscreen, or lower the screen resolution. You're not going to get as much performance in as small a form factor for less than a Surface Pro ( at least last I checked a few weeks ago. )
Score
!