Blank screen on boot when new graphics card plugged in

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hello!

I am having a little problem with my build. Everything works fine apart from the graphics card. Whenever it is in the PCI-E slot and the monitor is plugged into it the screen is blank. The screen is also blank when it is plugged into the motherboard's on board graphics. However, when I take my card out and plug the monitor in, the monitor starts displaying.

These might help:
Motherboard: ASRock G41M-VS3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
Memory: 8GB DDR3
PSU: 500W CiT PSU(came with my case)
Graphics Card: Gainward GTX 560 1024MB (said minimum power was 450W so I don't think its the PSU)

I've been wondering if maybe my graphics card is fault or I've done something completely wrong, please help me.

Thanks!
Sepillots

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I doubt it's a faulty PSU as I used the same one on my last computer. It worked fine. When the GTX 560 is not in the system I can start it up and run windows and everything. That's my problem :/

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I just had the same issue, I raged and slammed my desk and everything started running, I'd make sure everything is completely in the slots.
Oh also make sure it's in the x16, not x1.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I've made sure that everything is connected, but when I boot up it still fails to display anything on my monitor. I tried this a few times, and once the PC started, then went off, started again, then went off. This is the first time it has ever done this.

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
This could be a variety of problems, what is new and what is old and tested. Try to name things like cables, ram, moniter, dvi or VGA, etc, etc.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

Okay... Here we go

Motherboard - NEW
Processor - USED
Memory - NEW
PSU - SEMI NEW(only 1 week old)
Graphics Card - NEW
Monitor - USED(I can see stuff on the screen when there's no graphics card plugged in)
VGA Cable - USED(same as above, it works without a graphics card plugged in)

I know that everything works except for the graphics card, as I have managed to get into Windows when the graphics card was not plugged in. I also tried this with another graphics card that I know works and still it didn't work. I'm now starting to wonder... My PCI-E slot or something I need to change in the BIOS?

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Truthfully, I'm stumped. I don't know where to even start troubleshooting if you can't access the monitor, maybe someone else knows. I guess I could suggest a DVI cable, but since it's a used VGA, you've probably tested it. I'm sorry I couldn't be of assistance.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

No problem, looks like I'm gonna have to get this looked at by somebody who can see if I've messed up my wires. Thanks for your help!

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Remeber how I said I'm having the same issue? Now my computer starts and turns off in a cycle. I believe it's a memory issue as I got the error, IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal.
I'm contacting crucial and i'll keep you posted on info.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

Yeah it seems now that I don't see anything at all when I start up my computer, graphics card in or not. I should be taking it to have it sorted out tomorrow. If I can get it sorted I'll update you on what was wrong. Hopefully we can solve this.

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Well after contacting them, they told me to change the voltage, in the bios, but of course we can't access anything without the moniter, so they chalked up to it was something else, I have no clue where to start. Ok, I'll keep you posted, I'm gonna try contacting antec or EVGA.

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I believe it's a ram issue, for atleast me. I noticed at the startup, a beep. 1 Beep in my version of bios is a memory refresh failure, i'm gonna exchange my ram, see how it works out, what ram are you using?

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I don't think it's my ram. Yesterday I could start up my computer and use it and everything. It was just until I put in my graphics card that everything went crazy. I did notice a bent pin on my VGA cable. That may be part of the problem. Perhaps I can't fit the cable into the socket because the bent pin is blocking it. I bought my ram off crucial.com.
It's this: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D849CD70A5CA7304

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Okay, so I dug out an old motherboard and tried that with my computer. No luck. I'm guessing it's probably my VGA cable, however I still have the problem that whenever my GTX 560 is plugged in, I can't see anything on the screen.

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

How old is the card, which brand is it, and what is the model number. Hopefully, it's an EVGA they'll cover for lifetime given the Model Number doesn't end in TR or is a second hand purchase.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

I would do that, however I can't see anything on the screen! My guess is the VGA cable. I shall get a new one and test that, then try to get the new card working.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

It's a brand new Gainward GTX 560 1GB I got off a company on e-Bay. The fan spins and everything, it's just that I can't see anything on the screen! I noticed a pin on my VGA cable was bent and that may be the reason why I can't see anything, however when my cable was working, the card wasn't. I shall get a new cable and go into the BIOS to try to enable the PCI-E. Not sure how the ASRock BIOS works though, couldn't find a PCI-E option when I looked there last.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Okay, well I seem to have narrowed this down to 3 things: Monitor, PSU, Hard Drives. I bought a new VGA cable but still no luck, so it's down to these three things. I highly doubt it's my monitor though, it displays things perfectly and can still detect when it's plugged into something. Hard drives aren't likely to stop me getting into BIOS and as I can't see a thing, I'm guessing it is the PSU. Here we go again, looks like I'll have to buy a new PSU at the weekend to try and get this working. I'll report back with results.

Sepillots

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Ahaha! Eureka! Just replaced the PSU with an old PSU. That solves part of our problem... Now to sort out the problem with the GTX 560. The PSU was working, just not very well. I think it may have got slightly bumped around and that may have messed it up. However now I can't get my internet working on the computer... The Belkin wireless dongle thing I have isn't working, but it's being detected. Here I go, off on a driver hunt.